[Day 22 - EM] - Bokkens Before Breakfast (Iaijutsu edition)

A series of tatami floored rooms ring the dojo. At any given time, wooden and bamboo practice swords can be heard clacking or the sensei lecturing students. Peculiarly enough, compared to most dojo, these sensei speak with more questions than orders. Here, one corner of the ground floor has been reserved for guests to practice their own martial arts. At the center, a larger tatami floor spreads against a short conclave of bleachers. The east wall is occupied by a trio of shrines to Mirumoto, Shinsei and Togashi. A single stone at the base marks the grave of Mirumoto Hojatsu. Akin to the shrine in the village, a banner hangs with the words "Neither Will I."
Kakita Karasu

Re: [Day 22 - EM] - Bokkens Before Breakfast (Iaijutsu edition)

Postby Kakita Karasu » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:39 pm

Shiba Michio wrote: He watches Mao's draw. "I'm not sure that's the best approach here."

"Mmmm" Karasu analyzes the Mantis. He counts about 72 things that need fixing.

"Well....I guess start with the stance. She's turning her hips when she draws and telegraphing the whole thing. She is more of an archer then a duelist. So she has the arm and back strength. You could start from there and focuse on her finding her connection to the earth."

She would be great with a peasant weapon but she is very rough. Sand the edges.
Emerald ChampionDuelistPistoleer • Crane Clan • Samurai • Soul of Shiba Mako
Raised Eyebrow of Derision
After day 24 he wears a Yellow and Orange wrapped tanto in his belt.
Winter Court Iaijutsu Champion

Yasuki Yamase

Postby Yasuki Yamase » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:41 pm

Yamase made her way back to the dojo, a carefully packed box strapped to her back.

There was a point she could make, and training needed to be done.
Bushi * Crab Clan * Kuge * 1213 Topaz Champion * Iron Scales of the Carp

Shiba Michio

Postby Shiba Michio » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:42 pm

Kakita Karasu wrote:
Shiba Michio wrote: He watches Mao's draw. "I'm not sure that's the best approach here."

"Mmmm" Karasu analyzes the Mantis. He counts about 72 things that need fixing.

"Well....I guess start with the stance. She's turning her hips when she draws and telegraphing the whole thing. She is more of an archer then a duelist. So she has the arm and back strength. You could start from there and focuse on her finding her connection to the earth."

She would be great with a peasant weapon but she is very rough. Sand the edges.

Michio smiles at his brother. "Perhaps you could give Tsuruchi-san some pointers while I help Utaku-san?"

He bows low to Yamase. "Welcome back."
Shiba Swordsman - Sensei of the Black Hand - Day 30: Obsidian Oracle - Bearer of the Obsidian Hand
"This is a start."

Wearing a band of old cloth (the sling of the yojimbo of the first lord of the Suzume) around his wrist.

Kakita Karasu

Postby Kakita Karasu » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:45 pm

"If she wishes."

Karasu says as he picks up a bokken. A crocodile smile on his face.

Yasuki Yamase

Postby Yasuki Yamase » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:52 pm

She bows in return. "Thank you."

Moving to one side, she takes up a bit of space as she carefully puts down the box she had been carrying. She then sets out a small incense holder and stick of incense. Pausing a moment she smirks slightly, picks up the incense and brings it to a lantern in the dojo, lighting it and then returning and kneeling before it and the then carefully opened box that displays the reverently stowed armor named "Iron Scales of the Carp."

What follows then is something very few of this generation have seen before, and not been a Hida. A Hida-trained Crab's ritual of putting on heavy armor. There is far more prayer then many might expect from a Crab. Careful reverence and thankfulness to all those who have worn the armor before, the smith who made it and the kami that dwell within.

As she slowly assembles the armor upon herself, she kneels in prayer as each piece is worn. It serves many a purpose, both practical and spiritual, but the iron of the armor clanks a bit more as she slowly dons "her shell." She'll be at it for quite some time while others continue with their training, as various bits and pieces need adjusting to insure proper wear and movement, despite their heft and solidity.
Bushi * Crab Clan * Kuge * 1213 Topaz Champion * Iron Scales of the Carp

Tsuruchi Mao

Postby Tsuruchi Mao » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:02 am

Kakita Karasu wrote:"If she wishes."

Karasu says as he picks up a bokken. A crocodile smile on his face.

Mao eyed the Kakita warily, as she had viewed predators before.

"I would be wise to benefit from your experience."

Yes, Shiba-san, I do think you hate me.
Nativist Mantis * Natural Ascetic

"Why can't I make arrows from this bamboo? Why else is it planted here?"

As of Day 13, carries a strip of black cloth in her obi upon which is stitched a kingfisher in blue and orange.

Kakita Karasu

Postby Kakita Karasu » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:44 am

"First off your style is never going to be like mine. Our strengths are different. I can help you with the very basics but not much passed that.

Alright, widen your stance. Slightly wider. Now find your center of balance. Imagine your on the deck of a rocking ship. That balance is very important. Once you find your own you should extend yourself and try to find your opponents."

Karasu takes his stance. His bokken is on his left side and his right hand hovers over the hilt, palm up.

Utaku Yamada

Postby Utaku Yamada » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:44 am

Yamada looked at Michio. "It has been a while since I have done this," she warns him. "So do not expect much." She goes and gets a bokken from the rack.
Utaku Yamada - Unicorn Clan - Shiotome - Rider of the Steppes - Delegation Head - Lost Love - Hero of the People - True Love
Married to Yasuki Nakura, Day 19
Widowed, Day 28

Shiba Michio

Postby Shiba Michio » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:59 am

Michio nods, taking the two of them off to one side.
Shiba Swordsman - Sensei of the Black Hand - Day 30: Obsidian Oracle - Bearer of the Obsidian Hand
"This is a start."

Wearing a band of old cloth (the sling of the yojimbo of the first lord of the Suzume) around his wrist.

Tsuruchi Mao

Postby Tsuruchi Mao » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:01 am

Kakita Karasu wrote:"First off your style is never going to be like mine. Our strengths are different. I can help you with the very basics but not much passed that.

Alright, widen your stance. Slightly wider. Now find your center of balance. Imagine your on the deck of a rocking ship. That balance is very important. Once you find your own you should extend yourself and try to find your opponents."

Karasu takes his stance. His bokken is on his left side and his right hand hovers over the hilt, palm up.

Never actually been on a ship, Mao thought, enjoying a moment of petulance. But she was familiar with finding her balance. Mao stood as he bade, feet planted solidly, but ready to spring alert if need be. Then she held her bokken as Karasu did.
Nativist Mantis * Natural Ascetic

"Why can't I make arrows from this bamboo? Why else is it planted here?"

As of Day 13, carries a strip of black cloth in her obi upon which is stitched a kingfisher in blue and orange.

Return to “Dojo Interior”