[Day 22 - EM] - Bokkens Before Breakfast (Iaijutsu edition)

A series of tatami floored rooms ring the dojo. At any given time, wooden and bamboo practice swords can be heard clacking or the sensei lecturing students. Peculiarly enough, compared to most dojo, these sensei speak with more questions than orders. Here, one corner of the ground floor has been reserved for guests to practice their own martial arts. At the center, a larger tatami floor spreads against a short conclave of bleachers. The east wall is occupied by a trio of shrines to Mirumoto, Shinsei and Togashi. A single stone at the base marks the grave of Mirumoto Hojatsu. Akin to the shrine in the village, a banner hangs with the words "Neither Will I."
Shosuro Megumi

Re: [Day 22 - EM] - Bokkens Before Breakfast (Iaijutsu edition)

Postby Shosuro Megumi » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:56 am

Suzume Kenichi wrote:"One never criticises a student for practising or showing initiative, although I think the title of sensei flatters me." Particularly as much of what you have learned is from a different source.

"Have you spent any time learning how to assess your opponent yet?"

Megumi shakes her head.

"Iie. I have trained at the techniques and becoming aware of myself, making them instinctual. My kenjitsu training made this relatively easy. Facing off against an opponent I have not done yet."

She bows.

"Please instruct me.
Shinjo Megumi • "Unicorn" Clan • Courtier • Loremaster • Shugenja • Air
As of day 12 wears a necklace with a star sapphire with a Unicorn mon. As of day 21 she is a Jade Magistrate.

Suzume Kenichi

Postby Suzume Kenichi » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:11 am

I know from Dotai she is no Shinjo. Could the Toku have trained her? The deadly instincts seem more like that of her real clan. Perhaps one of the Unicorn Bushi is a Scorpion, although they do not seem to demonstrate any of that training.

Or maybe they still maintain contact with those who went over to Kanpeki. There are bound still to be ties.

The thoughts pass quickly and almost effortlessly through Kenichi's mind, as if he is already involved in the process of assessment.

"Very well. We can start by observing the other samurai who are training here. You can probably already assess certain things on a purely physical level - the way their stance is shifted, where their weight is. However, as you have just so artfully demonstrated, it is possible to fool an opponent with such things. We should not discount them, but the assessment should be more than a physical thing. Once you feel ready, you may take your stance and I will do likewise. We may then attempt assessment as if it were for real."
Emerald Spider * Sparrow Clan * Samurai * Duellist * Courtier * Yoriki * Voice * Storyteller * description * Soul of Mirumoto Shou

From Day 12 he wears a necklace with a pearl bearing the Sparrow Clan mon.

Shosuro Megumi

Postby Shosuro Megumi » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:50 am

Megumi nods. "Hai, Suzume-sensei..."

She joins him in observing the other's training. It is as he says, the physical aspect is just a part of it. It is actually like piercing someone's On and her courtier training will be most useful. Not to mention the Air Kami whose blessing she enjoys whispering in her ears. She watches a few exchanges...

Wait for it, wait for it... Now! A smile slowly spreads as she successfully predicts the draw.

"I believe I get it, Suzume-sensei. Shall we?"

She faces the Suzume and assumes her stance...
Last edited by Shosuro Megumi on Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As of day 12 wears a necklace with a star sapphire with a Unicorn mon. As of day 21 she is a Jade Magistrate.

Suzume Kenichi

Postby Suzume Kenichi » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:27 pm

Shosuro Megumi wrote:
"I believe I get it, Suzume-sensei. Shall we?"

She faces and assumes her stance...

Kenichi nods, and takes up his stance.
Emerald Spider * Sparrow Clan * Samurai * Duellist * Courtier * Yoriki * Voice * Storyteller * description * Soul of Mirumoto Shou

Shosuro Megumi

Postby Shosuro Megumi » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:14 pm

The 'Shinjo' empties her mind and her world becomes the man in front of her...

Assess with Blessing of Air: 7d10o10k4+8 46

Suzume Kenichi

Postby Suzume Kenichi » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:48 pm

http://orokos.com/roll/490926 37

Kenichi drops into his stance and has obviously activated the recognisable kata that is 'the Empire rests on its Edge'. He raises an eyebrow noticing the 'Shinjo' has made such a good assessment.

Shosuro Megumi

Postby Shosuro Megumi » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:06 pm

The world seems to stand still. This time it is a normal, centered stance, not the aggressive posture from before

There! Now! And then the moment comes. Megumi draws almost without realizing she is doing so.

Focus voided: 9d10o10k6+4 66

Yasuki Yamase

Postby Yasuki Yamase » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:13 pm

Yamase moved on to the careful process of wearing the hinged iron do that had been custom made for her by the Kaiu, as the original had been built for a male Yasuki daimyo some century ago.
Bushi * Crab Clan * Kuge * 1213 Topaz Champion * Iron Scales of the Carp

Suzume Kenichi

Postby Suzume Kenichi » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:32 pm

Shosuro Megumi wrote:The world seems to stand still. This time it is a normal, centered stance, not the aggressive posture from before

There! Now! And then the moment comes. Megumi draws almost without realizing she is doing so.

Focus voided: 9d10o10k6+4 66

Megumi is quick, so quick and so fluid that Kenichi realises he needs to up his game. Pity the fool who underestimates this one. His own draw is one of an experienced hand, well practised in the technique.

http://orokos.com/roll/491067 75

( Think I might have missed off the centre stance bonus if there is one but I'll take Orokos being kind to me anyhow ).

Shosuro Megumi

Postby Shosuro Megumi » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:01 pm

She was sure she would get him. How he managed to tap her wrist just as she cleared her sword was beyond her.

She just stares in astonishment for a heartbeat or two before laughing in delight.

"I still have much to learn, Suzume-sensei. This pleases me!" She bows. "Thank you for the match. I might have lost, but I feel I can carry my katana without shame." She grins. "Still, I was so sure I would strike first. Amazing..."

Return to “Dojo Interior”