[Day 24 - EM] Bokkens Before Breakfast

A series of tatami floored rooms ring the dojo. At any given time, wooden and bamboo practice swords can be heard clacking or the sensei lecturing students. Peculiarly enough, compared to most dojo, these sensei speak with more questions than orders. Here, one corner of the ground floor has been reserved for guests to practice their own martial arts. At the center, a larger tatami floor spreads against a short conclave of bleachers. The east wall is occupied by a trio of shrines to Mirumoto, Shinsei and Togashi. A single stone at the base marks the grave of Mirumoto Hojatsu. Akin to the shrine in the village, a banner hangs with the words "Neither Will I."
Suzume Kenichi

Re: [Day 24 - EM] Bokkens Before Breakfast

Postby Suzume Kenichi » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:26 am

Utaku Yamada wrote:The seriousness in Kenichi's voice echoed with the doubts that Yamada had herself. She was no duelist, she had meant it when she had said it. But she knew she had to do this, had to be the one holding that blade when the time came.
"I have Utaku techniques that can improve my residence," said Yamada. "And I have a question, is it customary to wear armour?"

As he considers her words about her techniques he nods. The Utaku do not fall easily.

To her question he gives some more consideration. "Perhaps you remember at court the question being asked as to whether the Crab representative could wear armour. In a duel to first blood, it would not normally be the case, but as the tournament is a demonstration it offers the opportunity to witness the fine craftsman ship of the kaiu smiths. With a duel to the death, the matter is different. Much of it would depend on the traditions of your clan and your family, but I believe that many samurai do wear their armour in such situations. Indeed, if you think of the battlefield where many such challenges are issued, most samurai would already be wearing their armour."
Emerald Spider * Sparrow Clan * Samurai * Duellist * Courtier * Yoriki * Voice * Storyteller * description * Soul of Mirumoto Shou

From Day 12 he wears a necklace with a pearl bearing the Sparrow Clan mon.

Utaku Yamada

Postby Utaku Yamada » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:37 am

"I am representing the challenged," said Yamada. "We get to decide the terms. Armour can be part of it. I expect we will hear from them tomorrow or the next day."
Utaku Yamada - Unicorn Clan - Shiotome - Rider of the Steppes - Delegation Head - Lost Love - Hero of the People - True Love
Married to Yasuki Nakura, Day 19
Widowed, Day 28

Suzume Kenichi

Postby Suzume Kenichi » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:42 am

Utaku Yamada wrote:"I am representing the challenged," said Yamada. "We get to decide the terms. Armour can be part of it. I expect we will hear from them tomorrow or the next day."

"You have honour on your side as well. It is often underestimated, but if the heavens can still see us from their distant point in the skies, it may yet count for much."
Emerald Spider * Sparrow Clan * Samurai * Duellist * Courtier * Yoriki * Voice * Storyteller * description * Soul of Mirumoto Shou

Utaku Yamada

Postby Utaku Yamada » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:49 am

Yamada smiled quietly. "We both know the answer to that, Suzuki-san, but thank you anyway," she said. "You do understand why I need to do this?"
Utaku Yamada - Unicorn Clan - Shiotome - Rider of the Steppes - Delegation Head - Lost Love - Hero of the People - True Love
Widowed, Day 28

Suzume Kenichi

Postby Suzume Kenichi » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:55 am

Utaku Yamada wrote:Yamada smiled quietly. "We both know the answer to that, Suzume-san, but thank you anyway," she said. "You do understand why I need to do this?"

"I do indeed. It is why I am more than happy to aid you in any way I can. Your opponent has acquitted herself well at court, and despite being an enemy is not without respect, and despite being a Scorpion not completely without honour. But your cause is, in my opinion, the more honourable one, and she represents an Empire with is an anathema to our own. I would have seen you victorious had it only been to first blood. That it is to the death means my conviction in the required result is doubly so."

Utaku Yamada

Postby Utaku Yamada » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:03 pm

"Then we shall hope that honour prevails then," she said, bowing. She turned to the others in the room to see what they had to say.
Widowed, Day 28

Shiba Michio

Postby Shiba Michio » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:52 pm

Michio rises from seiza, nodding to Yamase. "Soshi-san has proven a worthy adversary. Yet the crime she seeks to answer is a grave one in the eyes of the Scorpion. I will not pretend to know her mind. You must be ready for whatever comes."

He walks around Yamada and Kenichi. "We will train. Together, we will grow stronger. It will be enough, or we will meet again on the next turn of the wheel."

He smiles then. "But someone told me that is not acceptable, so let us see how much we can accomplish together in our next few days, ne?"
Shiba Swordsman - Sensei of the Black Hand - Day 30: Obsidian Oracle - Bearer of the Obsidian Hand
"This is a start."

Wearing a band of old cloth (the sling of the yojimbo of the first lord of the Suzume) around his wrist.

Suzume Kenichi

Postby Suzume Kenichi » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:54 pm

Kenichi nods. "Training together will aid us in our purpose. I have learned a great deal in a short space of time simply by being in the company of such prodigious samurai. It has refined much of what I had been taught previously and provided me with new perspectives." He bows to all present.

Yasuki Yamase

Postby Yasuki Yamase » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:43 pm

Yamase wars with herself. And ultimately stays silent, as they are not her secrets to tell.
Bushi * Crab Clan * Kuge * 1213 Topaz Champion * Iron Scales of the Carp

Utaku Yamada

Postby Utaku Yamada » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:38 pm

Yamada looked around at them. True friends, all of them. Willing to help her, yet all knowing the threat of death that hung over her. "Thank you," she said. "Where should we begin?"
Widowed, Day 28

Return to “Dojo Interior”