[Day 24 - EM] Bokkens Before Breakfast

A series of tatami floored rooms ring the dojo. At any given time, wooden and bamboo practice swords can be heard clacking or the sensei lecturing students. Peculiarly enough, compared to most dojo, these sensei speak with more questions than orders. Here, one corner of the ground floor has been reserved for guests to practice their own martial arts. At the center, a larger tatami floor spreads against a short conclave of bleachers. The east wall is occupied by a trio of shrines to Mirumoto, Shinsei and Togashi. A single stone at the base marks the grave of Mirumoto Hojatsu. Akin to the shrine in the village, a banner hangs with the words "Neither Will I."
Suzume Kenichi

Re: [Day 24 - EM] Bokkens Before Breakfast

Postby Suzume Kenichi » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:16 am

Utaku Yamada wrote:Yamada adopted the centre stance, it becoming easier and familiar to her.

[OOC: Initative 31 http://orokos.com/roll/492303 Assessment: 21 http://orokos.com/roll/492304]

Kenichi follows suit, adopting the centre stance. Recognisable in his stance is the well known kata of 'The Empire Rests on its Edge."

http://orokos.com/roll/492385 initiative 20 http://orokos.com/roll/492386 assessment 44 - edited as the kata does not work with bokken.
Emerald Spider * Sparrow Clan * Samurai * Duellist * Courtier * Yoriki * Voice * Storyteller * description * Soul of Mirumoto Shou

From Day 12 he wears a necklace with a pearl bearing the Sparrow Clan mon.

Utaku Yamada

Postby Utaku Yamada » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:36 am

Yamada let her self breath as she focused and got ready to strike.

[OOC: Focus 30 http://orokos.com/roll/492391]
Utaku Yamada - Unicorn Clan - Shiotome - Rider of the Steppes - Delegation Head - Lost Love - Hero of the People - True Love
Married to Yasuki Nakura, Day 19
Widowed, Day 28

Suzume Kenichi

Postby Suzume Kenichi » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:43 am

With the assessment concluded, Kenichi's narrows his eyes a little as he focuses on what is to come.

http://orokos.com/roll/492393 - Focus 75 ( I think I saw an amendment where you add your void ring as a static bonus but I haven't used this as I am not sure if that is correct ).
Emerald Spider * Sparrow Clan * Samurai * Duellist * Courtier * Yoriki * Voice * Storyteller * description * Soul of Mirumoto Shou

Utaku Yamada

Postby Utaku Yamada » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:46 am

[OOC: Go ahead and strike. TN is 25]
Utaku Yamada - Unicorn Clan - Shiotome - Rider of the Steppes - Delegation Head - Lost Love - Hero of the People - True Love
Widowed, Day 28

Suzume Kenichi

Postby Suzume Kenichi » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:07 am

Kenichi's bokken seems to fly towards Yamada. She can perhaps sense he pulls the blow a little as even with only using the bokken it may well have been possible to land a solid blow. As it is, it lands cleanly at her chest - more than a tap but less than a full strike.

A look of grave concern flashes across Kenichi' face for an instant. Her assessment needs improvement. She was adequate in focussing, but Kazusa will tear her apart.

He is quickly composed. "You have made good progress, Utaku-sama, but more work will be needed in order to defeat your opponent. Your connection to the void is strong and will aid you, but there are aspects of your technique which could be worked on in order to better prepare you. Did you sensei have time with you to emphasise the importance of the assessment and the focus and how these can be fine tuned?"

( OOC, do you have either emphasis for this skill? )

Utaku Yamada

Postby Utaku Yamada » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:19 am

"No, she was only just beginning to teach me in the iai when I left her service," she said, a little sadly. "Much of what she taught me was for survival, by her side on the road. As I said, I never even saw an iai duel before I came to court."

[OOC: No, no emphasis]
Widowed, Day 28

Suzume Kenichi

Postby Suzume Kenichi » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:27 am

Kenichi listens unfazed as Yamada replies.

"Well, there are small increments we can work on to hone your technique as much as possible before the duel itself. From there, it will also depend on how resilient you are and whether the heavens can see us from their detached position. If you wish me to aid you in any of this, all you need to do is ask."

Utaku Yamada

Postby Utaku Yamada » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:49 am

"I am fairly resilient," said Yamada. "And I also know I am not a duelist, not perhaps should I pretend to be one. What I know I need to do, is survive the first strike. After that, I think I can finish the fight on my own terms."
Widowed, Day 28

Suzume Kenichi

Postby Suzume Kenichi » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:07 am

Utaku Yamada wrote:"I am fairly resilient," said Yamada. "And I also know I am not a duelist, not perhaps should I pretend to be one. What I know I need to do, is survive the first strike. After that, I think I can finish the fight on my own terms."

A flicker of that concern previously felt passes over Kenichi's face again.

"I am sure you are resilient and a worthy foe for any individual. Make no mistake though, the strike of a trained duelist has deadly accuracy. Unlike in a the throes of a skirmish where everything is happening at once, passing to and fro with blows traded and exchanged, the individuals here are locked in a battle of mind and body which begins from a perfect start. The duelist has time to find the weak spots in their opponent, to time their own strike, to bring in everything they have learned for that one moment. Be prepared to summon all yours powers of resolve to withstand that blow. You will need them."

His on has returned but his voice is stern and deliberate, yet also compassionate.

Utaku Yamada

Postby Utaku Yamada » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:22 am

The seriousness in Kenichi's voice echoed with the doubts that Yamada had herself. She was no duelist, she had meant it when she had said it. But she knew she had to do this, had to be the one holding that blade when the time came.
"I have Utaku techniques that can improve my resilience," said Yamada. "And I have a question, is it customary to wear armour?"
Last edited by Utaku Yamada on Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Widowed, Day 28

Return to “Dojo Interior”