[Day 26 EM] Chase the Fox / Bokens Before Breakfast (OPEN)

A series of tatami floored rooms ring the dojo. At any given time, wooden and bamboo practice swords can be heard clacking or the sensei lecturing students. Peculiarly enough, compared to most dojo, these sensei speak with more questions than orders. Here, one corner of the ground floor has been reserved for guests to practice their own martial arts. At the center, a larger tatami floor spreads against a short conclave of bleachers. The east wall is occupied by a trio of shrines to Mirumoto, Shinsei and Togashi. A single stone at the base marks the grave of Mirumoto Hojatsu. Akin to the shrine in the village, a banner hangs with the words "Neither Will I."
Kakita Kyoumi

[Day 26 EM] Chase the Fox / Bokens Before Breakfast (OPEN)

Postby Kakita Kyoumi » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:30 pm

Kyoumi, dressed casually in jubon and hakama, bounces on the balls of her feet. She carries no sword or boken, but looks like she is ready to do some sort of fighting practice this morning anyway.
Nightingale-sensei. Crane Court Poet. Aide to the Voice of the Emperor. Voice. Inner Blessing: Animal Ken.
Wears a necklace of silver and steel with an aquamarine cameo of a crane, a jade bead bracelet, and two iron rings with obsidian and jade.
Appearance

Kakita Karasu

Re: [Day 26 EM] Chase the Fox / Bokens Before Breakfast (OPEN)

Postby Kakita Karasu » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:40 pm

Karasu arrives shortly after. His clothes are simple as well.

"Good morning. Let's stretch before we start."

Karasu shows her some basic stretches that she may remember from her childhood but are root memory for Karasu.
Emerald ChampionDuelistPistoleer • Crane Clan • Samurai • Soul of Shiba Mako
Raised Eyebrow of Derision
After day 24 he wears a Yellow and Orange wrapped tanto in his belt.
Winter Court Iaijutsu Champion

Suzume Kenichi

Postby Suzume Kenichi » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:57 pm

Kenichi arrives and is about to go through his usual rituals when he notices Kyoumi. He looks surprised for a moment, before bowing to the two Kakita.

"Kakita-samas. Good morning to you both. And Kakita Kyoumi-sama, it is an unexpected surprise to have the pleasure of your company in the dojo."
Emerald Spider * Sparrow Clan * Samurai * Duellist * Courtier * Yoriki * Voice * Storyteller * description * Soul of Mirumoto Shou

From Day 12 he wears a necklace with a pearl bearing the Sparrow Clan mon.

Kakita Kyoumi

Postby Kakita Kyoumi » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:40 pm

Kyoumi smiles. "Just playing some games." There may be a hint of nervousness in her eyes. She's here for a reason.

She stretches. She doesn't remember the exact ones Karasu is doing, so it takes time for her to figure out. But it is clear that there is a great amount of speed and agility in that small, pretty package.

She would have made a fine bushi.
Nightingale-sensei. Crane Court Poet. Aide to the Voice of the Emperor. Voice. Inner Blessing: Animal Ken.
Wears a necklace of silver and steel with an aquamarine cameo of a crane, a jade bead bracelet, and two iron rings with obsidian and jade.
Appearance

Shiba Michio

Postby Shiba Michio » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:41 pm

Shiba Michio enters the dojo, setting aside his heavy outer robe and daisho at the door. He stops for a moment and tilts his head to one side. "Oroo?"
Shiba Swordsman - Sensei of the Black Hand - Day 30: Obsidian Oracle - Bearer of the Obsidian Hand
"This is a start."

Wearing a band of old cloth (the sling of the yojimbo of the first lord of the Suzume) around his wrist.

Kakita Kyoumi

Postby Kakita Kyoumi » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:45 pm

Once the stretches are complete, Kyoumi pulls out a long, red ribbon. "Hunter first, or prey, first? Karasu-kun? Or shall I call you Karasu-sensei? Or did you have another game you wanted us to do first?"

She gives a bright smile at Michio and Kenichi. "It's been some time since I've been able to practice. You can play too! But it's my turn first."
Appearance

Shiba Michio

Postby Shiba Michio » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:55 pm

Michio looks at the Crane. "Fox and Rabbit, Kyoumi-kohei? Not the worst. My brother told me you were good at that game."

He looks at the Suzume and the Kakita. "Are you familiar with the rules?"
Shiba Swordsman - Sensei of the Black Hand - Day 30: Obsidian Oracle - Bearer of the Obsidian Hand
"This is a start."

Wearing a band of old cloth (the sling of the yojimbo of the first lord of the Suzume) around his wrist.

Shiba Michio

Postby Shiba Michio » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:13 pm

Michio continues as he walks across the mats, looking for something. "Fox and Rabbit is an old game, one usually played in Shiro Shiba between youngsters in their first days to learn the basics of footwork and motion."

He puts a bokken back on the rack. "The rules are simple. One sash or ribbon, of either spear or sword length. Both players hold one end with the ribbon taunt between them. The 'fox' chases the 'rabbit', trying to cause the cloth to go slack. Competitive games can get quite challenging, and a skilled 'rabbit' can learn to trip the fox if she's clever enough."

He finds the sack of sashes he brought up for sling practice. "Later, a young man and woman might 'practice' it as an acceptable way to spend time together. Are you sure you would rather not practice with Ide-san, Kyoumi-kohei?"
"This is a start."

Kakita Kyoumi

Postby Kakita Kyoumi » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:20 pm

Kyoumi glares at Michio. "Shall I fetch Yamase-san for you? She can hunt in armor." She draws the sash taut between her hands. "I'm serious. I don't want to be pinned into a corner by the Yogo who keeps stalking me. Or...anything else. I won't always have a yojimbo you know. I haven't practiced all court."
Appearance

Shiba Michio

Postby Shiba Michio » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:29 pm

"I know you are. But this is a game of the Tejina and at its heart is joy."

He considers Kyoumi for a moment then bows low. "It is a shame those of us who follow the path of the sword must bear that any of you need to worry about such things or fear exposure to the horrible truths at the heart of the game."

He looks at his fellow bushi. "The training is to avoid and distract; to never be touched by sword, spear, or arrow. Those who have mastered it can walk through a battle without being touched. And Kyoumi-san was known for being very good."
Last edited by Shiba Michio on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This is a start."

Return to “Dojo Interior”