(Day 0 Early Evening) Remaking acquaintances (open)

For generations, the lords of the Dragon Clan have sworn to the quality of the noodle dishes made at this humble establishment. Many guests of the Dragon are delighted at their recommendations only to discover the noodles are made from millet instead of rice. It is said by Kayo’s descendant’s that the Dragon Champion himself blessed this place many generations ago during a rice shortage. Kayo had offered the Togashi Lord his last bowl of rice noodles and had only millet left. From that day forward, his family was never without what they needed.
Suzume Kenichi

Re: (Day 0 Early Evening) Remaking acquaintances (open)

Postby Suzume Kenichi » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:22 am

"A fate suffered by my clan too..." Kenichi adds to Rin's words. "... I am not sure where many of them are now. And now the followers of Kanpeki and their Scorpion allies are here. I am sure there is some wisdom in the Dragon's plans, but as if often the case, it is not immediately clear what it is. I can only hope it will become evident during court."
Emerald Spider * Sparrow Clan * Samurai * Duellist * Courtier * Yoriki * Voice * Storyteller * description * Soul of Mirumoto Shou

From Day 12 he wears a necklace with a pearl bearing the Sparrow Clan mon.

Kuni Rioto

Postby Kuni Rioto » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:24 pm

Rioto nods at his two old companions as they speak.

"You have more faith in our hosts than I do, Kenichi-san. But I hope you are right.

Rioto reaches into the pouch at his waist, and pulls out two jade trinkets, with a cord of leather loops around them. He offers them to the man and the woman opposite him.

" I want you both to have these. If you see them go black, or feel them soften - take note of who you are with. Then leave, and find me."
Crab Clan - Shugenja - Witch Hunter - Earth - Jade - Fame 2 - Large - Antisocial

Suzume Kenichi

Postby Suzume Kenichi » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:44 pm

Kenichi takes the trinket and inspects it carefully. A simple but finely crafted fan, it glinted in the soft candlelight of the noodle bar.

"It's been a while since I've carried one of these. Arigato, Rioto-sama. Let us hope they retain their hue."
Emerald Spider * Sparrow Clan * Samurai * Duellist * Courtier * Yoriki * Voice * Storyteller * description * Soul of Mirumoto Shou

Tsuruchi Rin

Postby Tsuruchi Rin » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:52 am

She solemnly took the jade trinket and fastened it to her obi. "Thank you Rioto-sama. I've already encountered one earlier where this might have been useful. I encountered an Onyx Imperial named Kokujin Kaneda. I hunted him once, and he managed to elude me then, something that brings me no joy to admit. Now he's here, and I have no doubt he's Tainted. Be very careful if you encountered a masked man with the mon of the Spider."
Nativist Mantis. Bounty Hunter. Favored of Bishamon.

Suzume Kenichi

Postby Suzume Kenichi » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:04 pm

Kenichi nods in agreement. "I think we should be careful around any of the Onyx Spider or their Scorpion allies. I cannot imagine that a Kokujin will find much in the way of accord here. Surely that will test the resolve of our hosts with respect to their invitations."

Kuni Rioto

Postby Kuni Rioto » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:56 pm

Rioto sits quietly, absorbing the information his old companions had given him.

"We will all be tested by this court, I fear. This....this Onyx Empire has impact most-everyone. Even the Phoenix no longer have the benefit of seclusion. Using these new, unfamiliar wounds is our best way to unite the Empire against it's foes."
Crab Clan - Shugenja - Witch Hunter - Earth - Jade - Fame 2 - Large - Antisocial

Tsuruchi Rin

Postby Tsuruchi Rin » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:18 pm

"Unity is our greatest strength. We can't fight the enemy and each other at the same time. My hope is to help unify the Mantis so we can contribute our part to resisting Kanpeki and his followers, though I know it will not be easy."

Suzume Kenichi

Postby Suzume Kenichi » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:25 pm

"You are both right, and it starts here. I hope there are meetings like this going on all over Shiro Mirumoto right now. Old friends and allies reestablishing their bonds and recognising who the true enemy is." Kenichi sits back for a moment, pondering on Rin's analysis of the Mantis.

"I know little about the state of the Mantis at present, although I have been made aware there are two factions. What is it which is keeping them separate? Do you think this can be changed here at Winter Court, Rin-san?"

Kuni Rioto

Postby Kuni Rioto » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:01 pm

Rioto nods at Kenichi's statements.

"I agree with Kenichi - a united Mantis clan, all of the children of Osano-Wo, could be the tipping point against the darkness. Tell me, Rin-san, what is keeping them from unity?"

Tsuruchi Rin

Postby Tsuruchi Rin » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:50 pm

She sighed heavily and took a bite of noodle before starting.

"What's not? Kanpeki couldn't have planned our division better if he tried. The division started when the Islands of Spice and Silk were destroyed in the tsunami. Those of my clan in the Colonies were able to survive and rebuild. Those of us in Rokugan were left devastated. We joined with the Crane and some of the Phoenix to fight Kanpeki's sea demons. Or at least, some of us did. Kyuden Ashinagabachi was overrun and my family forced to flee to the mountains. I haven't had much contact with them in...oh...it'd be more than a decade, maybe fifteen years, give or take? I've lost track. I might as well have been ronin. I traveled where I could, took bounties, did what I could for the heimin where I could." She sighed sadly. "At this point, I'm not sure how many Tsuruchi are left."

"When the Crab came to the Kitsune Mori I went down there to try to help the Kitsune. I...hoped that they might be able to contact the other families. But then I got word that Yoritomo Ichido-sama was reforming the Clan. He'd gathered some of the survivors and gone back to the Clan's old roots as pirates and mercenaries. The Phoenix found a way to enslave the Fire Dragon, Fortunes know how, and the Mantis were hired to liberate the creature. I don't really know a lot of the details behind the attack, only that I was called back to serve as part of the naval fleet. Which I did. I fought sea demons and oni and worse while the fleet approached the Fire Dragon, locked in battle with some massive oni. All I remember is a gigantic explosion, and I was knocked below deck. The ship was ruined and sinking, and I was trapped. I would have died that day, but Yoritomo Waito-sama saved me. We were among a small handful who survived that battle and the death of the Fire Dragon. We washed ashore on some kami-forsaken rock and there Ichido-sama was gifted with the kama of Yoritomo-no-Kami himself. He used their power to save us from death, and became the Savior of Storms. Then he took us back to Rokugan, to rebuild the Clan. We've spent the last decade reclaiming what we could of the Islands of Spice and Silk, and rebuilding the clan's coffers and numbers. It's slow going, but we've made some progress.

But we've heard little from the Colonies and our kin there. All we know is that the Mantis in the Colonies have unified under a man named Arashi, and apparently seized the Colonies for their own. Arashi denies the claim of Ichido-sama to lead the Clan, and Ichido-sama denies his claim, and it's all a mess. The Kitsune have lost their home. The Tsuruchi are scattered to the wind, or dead. Mao and I might be the last of our family in Rokugan for all I know. I haven't heard anything of the Moshi, and the Yoritomo lost much when the Islands were destroyed." She slammed a hand against the table. "We don't need this division! The Colonials deny Ichido-sama's claim and have revolted against the Throne. But I personally am less interested in the claim than I am in the fact that if we don't come together there won't be a Rokugan to be loyal to! And when Rokugan has fallen, what stops Kanpeki from seizing the Colonies, or Zogeku, or whatever they call themselves, for his own?! Two hunters can bring down a bear better than one alone. I believe in Ichido-sama, but I believe more that alone, we will fall. Let us save our homes, both Rokugan and Zogeku, now. Let our families come together to fight the real enemy. Once Kanpeki is defeated there will be time enough to resolve whether Ichido-sama or Arashi leads us." She let out a frustrated sigh.

Return to “Kayo's Noodles”