[D14 EA] Lying in Wait

One warm spot in the village this winter is Kenichi’s shop where a makeshift kiln is lit at all hours. The place is unmistakable by the wisps of smoke emanating from the backyard. Kenichi, cleverly, has decided to exploit the heat of his trade, and has set up a covered porch against the wall of the kiln room. It acts as a makeshift tavern, and has become a warm spot for social gatherings.
Soshi Kazusa

Re: [D14 EA] Lying in Wait

Postby Soshi Kazusa » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:01 am

Straightening, Kazusa smiled pleasantly and again gestured toward seating near the kiln, she backed away to get her seat, allowing Hikahime plenty of room to do so herself and then sat before her, again putting herself at disadvantage.

"I'm pleased we could do so, there are things I have to ask of you", the Soshi explains. "Not to ask for your surrender, that would be rude." She turns her head and calls out.

"Oi, Kenichi-kun! Send someone out here with that amazake, it's freezing!"

She turns back to Hikahime. "But more specifically, I was at the evening of stories held by the Unicorn and you spoke well, so I thought it would be wise to get to know you, as you seemed to be eto...particular."
Scorpion Clan • Loyal • Samurai • Delegation Head
"Some mourn loss, never realizing their dream yet lives. Others boast victory, unable to imagine their defeat. Both are fools. The game goes on."

Hikahime

Postby Hikahime » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:22 am

Hikahime sits cautiously, and doesn't take her eyes off of the Soshi. "And this would be reason to get to know me because?"
General of the Last Legion

“I gave my husband and both children to your war. There was never a chance that I would stay out of it.”

Run by GM Ebisu

Soshi Kazusa

Postby Soshi Kazusa » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:43 am

"Because you are a unique person in a unique time" Kazusa responds, then thinks about it. "There are many who would take your place, but none that could be you. In any case there are not many women your age who lead armies, fewer of them not part of a great clan, fewer still from a samurai background below that stations...and practically none who did not claim some manner of lineage to a kami or one of their followers, even if a lie."

Hot, sweet amazake is brought by the proprietor. He gives Kazusa an admonishing look, but smiles at both of them. He sees the guard and seems uneasy but goes to deal with his other customers. The Soshi pours Hikahime a drink.

"Yet that isn't truly a good reason, it makes you out to be some kind of circus attraction, and there are enough of those at court already", she pours one for herself as well. "So, Hikahime, I won't waste any of your time with idle chatter. When I was little, my great grandfather came to pick me up from a temple where I had been fostered for some time. He asked me many questions, showed me many things. One such was a map, of the fields around Toshi Ranbo, the drowned merchant river, the walls and the positions of various armies. He showed me these things and asked me, if were the general defending the city, how I would plan."

"I told him my plan depended on the Dragon army. If they were wise, they would ford the river swiftly, the Spider archer units were flanked by the undead legions for protection, they would reach their position to engage late. The Tamori fight with the Mirumoto, they could shake the hills the archers were on into rubble, just as they had called upon the mountain in the War of Dark Fire. If the Dragon would attack, decisively, they could take the hills and capture the enemy flank. The Spider's army would be trapped between the Dragon on high ground behind them, with the Lion and the Crab to their front and flank. The siege would have broken easily. When I gave my answer, my great grandfather smiled, he told me I was unwise to rely on the Dragon."

"That was then, however. Things are different, are they not? We seem to have relied on the Dragon and not been the lesser for it. My question, Hikahime, is when the thaw comes, but battle does not, and nor does rice, nor millet, nor barley, nor fresh water...what will you rely on?"

The Soshi does not appear to be taking some kind of sick pleasure from this, she seems quite serious. If Hikahime were a savvy person, she might recognize that the question is asked, given the previous statements, for very clear reason.

Of course, Kazusa half expects the woman to be incredibly obtuse, wouldn't that be a treat?
"Some mourn loss, never realizing their dream yet lives. Others boast victory, unable to imagine their defeat. Both are fools. The game goes on."

Hikahime

Postby Hikahime » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:00 am

Hikahime takes the cup, but does not drink. She listens impassively, still glaring, and then shakes her head when Kazusa finishes speaking.

"I have not spent too much time among the Dragon. This is my first time in their lands. Some of my friends tell me, however, that they are quite fond of answering a question with another question. So, Soshi-sama. What is Rokugan?"

“I gave my husband and both children to your war. There was never a chance that I would stay out of it.”

Run by GM Ebisu

Soshi Kazusa

Postby Soshi Kazusa » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:06 am

"It is us."

Hikahime

Postby Hikahime » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:13 am

"Who, exactly? There are many here who would take exception to including me in Rokugan. Even more would likely exclude you for your allegiances. Somewhat surprising, considering only one of us has a daisho."

She measures Kazusa with her gaze.

Run by GM Ebisu

Soshi Kazusa

Postby Soshi Kazusa » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:21 pm

"Rokugan doesn't require specificity", Kazusa explains. "Politics is an illusion, the celestial order doesn't exclude the hemin and hinnin...humans do. You Rokugan, I am Rokugan. Even those haughty, arrogant fools living in conquered territory so far from us are Rokugan. It is the land, but it is more than that, it is our dream, the promise of harmony."

Hikahime

Re: [D14 LA] Lying in Wait

Postby Hikahime » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:33 pm

"We are in agreement then," Hikahime says, nodding with a raised eyebrow. "And in Rokugan is where I place my trust. The people of Rokugan will find a way to survive. Whether it is deep wells that we have seen are still pure, or irrigating plants with bath water. We will eat of livestock, of eggs, of roots and tree bark. If need be, we will drink morning dew. The samurai may die, if they cannot let go of pride, but Rokugan will endure."

Run by GM Ebisu

Soshi Kazusa

Re: [D14 LA] Lying in Wait

Postby Soshi Kazusa » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:57 pm

"An honest declaration", Kazusa bowed ever so slightly. "Such dogged determination is to be be expected, and applauded." She nods her head. "Indeed, samurai have their pride, they do not cling to life so selfishly." She waves a hand. "Not to say that is poor judgement to be selfish, as survival is the utmost act of the self, and you have very clearly stated your intent that the people survive. Though carrying a dream in your heart, along with a sense of self, can taint that dream, oba-chan. Do you agree?"

Hikahime

Postby Hikahime » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:30 pm

"That depends entirely on the dream. Those who are one of purpose and action need not fear losing their way," Hikahime says, lightly spinning her cup with one hand.

Run by GM Ebisu

Return to “Five Ringed Pottery”