[Day 0: Mid Morning] Kites and laughter

One warm spot in the village this winter is Kenichi’s shop where a makeshift kiln is lit at all hours. The place is unmistakable by the wisps of smoke emanating from the backyard. Kenichi, cleverly, has decided to exploit the heat of his trade, and has set up a covered porch against the wall of the kiln room. It acts as a makeshift tavern, and has become a warm spot for social gatherings.
Kakita Kyoumi

Re: [Day 0: Mid Morning] Kites and laughter

Postby Kakita Kyoumi » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:13 pm

Kyoumi invites Megumi and Kenichi to sit near the warmth of the kiln with a simple gesture, but does not interrupt the discourse further.
Nightingale-sensei. Crane Court Poet. Aide to the Voice of the Emperor. Voice. Inner Blessing: Animal Ken.
Wears a necklace of silver and steel with an aquamarine cameo of a crane, a jade bead bracelet, and two iron rings with obsidian and jade.
Appearance

Suzume Kenichi

Postby Suzume Kenichi » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:16 pm

Shosuro Megumi wrote:"The Emerald Spider, you say? How very interesting! I have heard of your Clan's efforts to cleanse Otosan-Uchi. Such a feat inspires hope, a rare commodity these days. I commend you for that."

"I thank you on behalf of the Emerald Spider, although I can take no share of the credit. My appointment is quite recent. I believe the wisdom of Susumu Shibatsu nee Iweko-sama is responsible for the successes the clan has had in navigating a very difficult path over the last couple of decades. Were it not for his wisdom in handling affairs, matters might have been very different." Kenichi smiles.

At Kyoumi's invite, he looks to Megumi. "Shall we take up the kind offer of Kakita Kyoumi-sama?" He beckons towards the kiln.
Emerald Spider * Sparrow Clan * Samurai * Duellist * Courtier * Yoriki * Voice * Storyteller * description * Soul of Mirumoto Shou

From Day 12 he wears a necklace with a pearl bearing the Sparrow Clan mon.

Shosuro Megumi

Postby Shosuro Megumi » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:43 pm

"Ah, yes, certainly!" Megumi joins Kyoumi in sitting near the kiln. "Having spend the last couple of years in a much warmer locale I do admit to struggling somewhat with the cold. Good thing I still had some pieces in my wardrobe more appropriate for a real winter.

And yes, I certainly hope your Clan will get the recognition it deserves, for it's services as well as it's loyalty. Would you not say so, Kakita-sama?"
Shinjo Megumi • "Unicorn" Clan • Courtier • Loremaster • Shugenja • Air
As of day 12 wears a necklace with a star sapphire with a Unicorn mon. As of day 21 she is a Jade Magistrate.

Kakita Kyoumi

Postby Kakita Kyoumi » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:57 pm

Kyoumi wraps a piece of twine around a final piece of wood, the last of the children who have asked having received a kite, at least for now. "I admit, Megumi-san, that, considering everything going on in the world, I can't even imagine what sort of recognition could possibly be appropriate. Or who would do the recognizing. " She laughs a little. "Admittedly, I'm young. The world is a far larger place than I have ever seen, or would be able to recognize if I encountered it."

She makes no gesture to acknowledge the pun, but tucks the wood into her bag with the remaining scraps.

"I would love to hear more of that larger world. Where have you been? What is it like there?" She lets the eagerness color her voice with warmth and interest.
Nightingale-sensei. Crane Court Poet. Aide to the Voice of the Emperor. Voice. Inner Blessing: Animal Ken.
Wears a necklace of silver and steel with an aquamarine cameo of a crane, a jade bead bracelet, and two iron rings with obsidian and jade.
Appearance

Shosuro Megumi

Postby Shosuro Megumi » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:57 am

Megumi gives the Kakita a subdued smile.

"Well, young Kyoumi-san, this mountain, and this season will be the place for this recognition. Many things that were once whole have been broken. The Spider Clan, The Mantis Clan, our very Empire and the Celestial Order even. We shall see whether we will manage to once again become one people and mend the rifts between us.

And as for the world beyond, and where I come from?" Megumi smile becomes more genuine. "Far to the north west, after a grueling trek over the Burning Sands you will find my new home: Medinaat Al-Salaam, the City of Peace, though it goes by many other names as well. It is surely the largest city in the world, home to more than a thousand times thousand men and women, from all corners of the world."

Megumi slips a prayer scroll from her sleeve, and as she continues, occasionally mutters a chant, her complexion, built and cloths changing to people from various exotic tribes, such as the Senpet, Yobanjin or Yodotai.

"Imagine it, all buildings made out of stone, palaces with great domes and spires. It is a great crossroads between nations and you can hear more languages than you could possibly imagine. It's bazaars and shops are a wonder to behold, anything, no matter it's provenance can be found there. Oh, I could spin tales about the Jewel and it's sights for hours! Perhaps at a later date, over coffee? It is a popular beverage from my new home I have come to learn to appreciate greatly..."
As of day 12 wears a necklace with a star sapphire with a Unicorn mon. As of day 21 she is a Jade Magistrate.

Kakita Kyoumi

Postby Kakita Kyoumi » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:58 pm

Kyoumi's eyes widen with delight at the ways Megumi's appearance, complexion, and clothes change in response to the dance of the air kami and the spell Megumi weaves. She watches very intently at all the details spun out for her. "Amazing! I would love to hear your stories...and see the sights that you describe. And taste this coffee. It sounds very interesting. I am certain that other members of my clan would also, for we are always interested in tales, and it sounds like you have so many to tell! It would almost be selfish for me to have such a story captured just for myself."

She cocks her head thoughtfully. "Would you consider a public recounting of the description of your lands so far away? You, and others of your clan, if they are interested? I'm sure, somehow, we could find a space that would be able to host such an event. Just to be able to see...or at least heard described about...the artworks of this city you describe, would be a generous gesture for those of us who have not traveled as far as you have or seen as much."
Appearance

Suzume Kenichi

Postby Suzume Kenichi » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:04 pm

Kenichi nods in agreement with Kyoumi. "Your relating of the sights and sounds of these far off places is quite splendid. Some might say you are fortunate to have resided in such a place rather than here, given what has happened to our homeland."
Emerald Spider * Sparrow Clan * Samurai * Duellist * Courtier * Yoriki * Voice * Storyteller * description * Soul of Mirumoto Shou

Shosuro Megumi

Postby Shosuro Megumi » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:07 pm

Megumi's smile turns sad again, her gaze lingering on the children playing.

"Fortunate? Perhaps. Let me assure you however that both the reason we are there now, as well as the journey itself come at a high cost. A very high cost. And I remember my old home, and the time before... well... the world broke. No, the fortunate ones will be the generation who is now growing up in the Jewel, untouched by this darkness."

Turning once more to Kyoumi Megumi's smile turns more genuine, but still doesn't quite reach her eyes.

"I would certainly love to regale an audience with tales of the exotic, Kakita-san, and I'm certain others of my Clan would love to contribute as well. Though admittedly I am somewhat surprised you believe there would be much interest. There was a time that stories of gaijin and their cities were not considered... proper."

Kakita Kyoumi

Postby Kakita Kyoumi » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:24 pm

Kyoumi's deep gray eyes turn sad as she watches the children before her at play. "My uncle Toshiki once told me that his artwork was once considered, by only some critics mind you, "inappropriately innovative" because he added shadows to his flower petals. When he passed, recently, he was considered a grandmaster sensei at the Kakita Academy."
"The world changes. Art changes with it. It is important to retell the old stories...they are a source of much wisdom, wisdom that we need whether a mighty lord or a lowly eta, shaped by the voice and mind into forms we can remember and understand. The old stories can't change."
"But new worlds need new stories, for we have many new things we need to learn, no? There are many children of the Kami in those gaijin lands now. Hopefully learning much and growing wiser every day." She bows slightly to the older shugenja. "As I am sure you have grown wiser through your trials, even if the scars of that wisdom have not troubled the serenity of your features." She straightens.
"Sharing your stories I'm certain will delight, for it is lovely to imagine a place less troubled than this one. And it might sprinkle upon the rest of us a few scattered dewdrops of the wisdom you have all gathered on your journey."
Appearance

Suzume Kenichi

Postby Suzume Kenichi » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:37 pm

At the mention of Kyoumi's uncle, a small measure of surprise becomes apparent in Kenichi's features. He listens thoughtfully to her recollections of his work. It must be the same artist.

"Kakita Toshiki was your uncle? I believe one of his works may be temporarily in my possession. He was indeed a very talented man."

Return to “Five Ringed Pottery”