Day 0, Early Afternoon, Not Drunk Enough for This

One warm spot in the village this winter is Kenichi’s shop where a makeshift kiln is lit at all hours. The place is unmistakable by the wisps of smoke emanating from the backyard. Kenichi, cleverly, has decided to exploit the heat of his trade, and has set up a covered porch against the wall of the kiln room. It acts as a makeshift tavern, and has become a warm spot for social gatherings.
Kakita Kyoumi

Re: Day 0, Early Afternoon, Not Drunk Enough for This

Postby Kakita Kyoumi » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:49 pm

"A gaijin woman at the Izaku library, really? How curious." She tilts her head to the side. "And that troubled you as a child more than your voyages all over the Empire. There must have been some deep significance that encounter held to your heart for it to trouble you so. Did that encounter cause you to be sent away from the library, or was it another thing that happened to concern you so?"
Nightingale-sensei. Crane Court Poet. Aide to the Voice of the Emperor. Voice. Inner Blessing: Animal Ken.
Wears a necklace of silver and steel with an aquamarine cameo of a crane, a jade bead bracelet, and two iron rings with obsidian and jade.
Appearance

Soshi Kazusa

Postby Soshi Kazusa » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:16 pm

"Not so, Kakita-san", Kazusa shakes her head. "I said that I have seen worse now, far worse. The idea of a gaijin in the Izaku library back then, when I hadn't seen anything more than poor drawings of foreigners, was quite a shock. Now...", she looks directly at the Crane. "Now, there are far worse things that I have seen."

And she smiles. "But enough of my dreary childhood. Surely as a Kakita who bares no blade, you know an interesting tale or two."
Scorpion Clan • Loyal • Samurai • Delegation Head
"Some mourn loss, never realizing their dream yet lives. Others boast victory, unable to imagine their defeat. Both are fools. The game goes on."

Kakita Kyoumi

Postby Kakita Kyoumi » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:48 pm

Kyoumi nods. "Of course." And, despite her previous, more light-hearted tone, her voice grows more serious. "I do not doubt that you have seen far worse now." She leans forward, intent, gray eyes focused on the woman before her. Her voice grows quietly intense. "Far worse. My earliest memories do but hint at what you may have seen, the colors that I can imagine paint your more recent years. The darkness of the gathering twilight. The open shoji screen and the smell of a welcoming meal, inviting in the honored guest, turned into burning rice, and blood, and smoke. A chorus of crickets silenced with a scream..." She shakes her head, and her voice shifts subtly, taking a tone of profound sympathy as she eases up on her focus.. "Such are the brush strokes that have painted your world. And the painter uses a broad, broad brush."

A pause.

"How can my unserious stories compare to those?"
Nightingale-sensei. Crane Court Poet. Aide to the Voice of the Emperor. Voice. Inner Blessing: Animal Ken.
Wears a necklace of silver and steel with an aquamarine cameo of a crane, a jade bead bracelet, and two iron rings with obsidian and jade.
Appearance

Soshi Kazusa

Postby Soshi Kazusa » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:58 pm

"Because levity is respite, a form of culture, my dear Kakita", Kazusa offers. "For without it we are all doomed regardless of the outcome of conflict."
"Some mourn loss, never realizing their dream yet lives. Others boast victory, unable to imagine their defeat. Both are fools. The game goes on."

Kakita Kyoumi

Postby Kakita Kyoumi » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:18 pm

The Kakita spreads her hands and smiles. "Would that my levity were enough to save us all. That would take a force of levity greater than the Kaiu wall, I think," She glances up...an up...at the mighty Kaiu she sits in the shadow of. She lowers her voice conspiratorially "And, between you and me, the sight of a wall of levity that great would surely get the Crane in trouble with our honored allies."

She returns to a normal tone. "But the Crane are notoriously generous....and I must do my best to comply. Tell me...have you heard of the great snow war held by Hantei the Twenty Eighth, long, long ago?"
Appearance

Soshi Kazusa

Postby Soshi Kazusa » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:32 pm

"I'm afraid I have not...all I know of Hantei XXVIII is that his reign changed the location of the emerald tournament", she places a finger on her chin, thoughtfully looking up a moment. "Though if the matter had been settled by a snowball fight, I would assume the Brotherhood would not have been called to be of aid in the matter."

She settles herself and nods. "Please, go on."

Kakita Kyoumi

Postby Kakita Kyoumi » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:51 pm

Kyoumi laughs gently, and begins her tale, gesturing expressively with her hands as she speaks.

"So it was at the Eyo festival at the Shrine of the Ki-Rin that it did begin...

I believe it all started when one of the Kakita and one of the Mirumoto started once again the ancient debate about which school was better. Finally, out of exasperation, perhaps, the Mirumoto threw two snowballs, one with each hand. By the time the two were launched, the Kakita had bent down, packed a snowball, and thrown it, all in the time it takes to blink. Each was well thrown...two of the three hit their target. But one, thrown by the Mirumoto...just barely missed the Kakita and hit the Doji daimyo! Oh no!" Her eyes widen in the telling. "The Doji daimyo immediately began calling in favors from other clans to return fire, and truly the battle was begun. By the end of the day, everyone at the festival was involved!

"Once the Doji started bringing reinforcements, the rest of the Mirumoto joined in the fray...all using their distinct two-snowball style. The Agasha put together snowballs that would burst in a cloud of snow...just as it reached the target, soaking the victim in a shower of fine, cold powder. And the Togashi Ise Zumi? All sorts of things...breathing fire at incoming snowballs, running swift as lightening around the fray, throwing unexpected shots while sitting in lotus position -- somehow pelting people and avoiding being hit without even moving. The Kitsuki, of course, were very concerned, examing the footsteps in the snow and trying to determine how the conflict started, but by then the battle was raging."
Appearance

Kakita Kyoumi

Postby Kakita Kyoumi » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 pm

The Crane storyteller has begun to attract a little attention, but she continues. There are others here who might appreciate the gift of levity, for whatever reason it might be wrought. I could make the Kaiu smile, at least.

"The Kakita, naturally, were all practicing their one-throw technique, while the Doji spent little time fighting, instead supporting their allies in dealing with the snow instead. The Asahina recommended an end to the fray and backed far away, but would hurl snowballs from an extremely long range when the omens were right. And the Daidoji were rapidly determining the best places to make their stands in the and using the snowbanks to their best advantage.

"With their old, at that time, adversaries in the midst of the fray, and the roar of battle on the wind, the Lion could hardly resist joining in. The Matsu charged forward, hurling snowballs in every direction that wasn't towards the Lion. The Akodo were undertaking a methodical "scorched earth" campaign, making sure the Lion had snow to work with while melting the snow near other clans. The Kitsu had their ancestors throwing spectral snowballs, but for some reason only the most honorable fighters noticed their hits. And during all of this, the Ikoma were off to the side taking notes on who hit who and how gloriously the Lion fought."
Appearance

Kakita Kyoumi

Postby Kakita Kyoumi » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:18 pm

She continues. All in, now...

"The Crab, of course, never ones to miss a good rousing fight, all gathered behind huge snow fortresses erected by the Kaiu. The Hida manned the wall, throwing giant balls of snow that some considered a little unfair, but the rules were subtle and the Hida had no reason to care. The Hiruma took small skirmishing unites out to make surgical strikes, then fade back behind the wall. Whenever another clan tried getting into the fortifications, the Kuni scared them off. And, naturally, the Yasuki were everywhere...offering snowballs, snow cones, squids on sticks, and other refreshments.

"The Unicorn would have made a stronger showing if they would get off their horses more often. The Shinjo rode around the edges, throwing snowballs into the fray. Much havok was caused by the Otaku battle maidens as they charged the clans from the flanks, their horses kicking up as much snow as the maidens throwing. The Ide were busy packing snowballs for the others, and trying to get it to teh riders with the help of the Otaku men and the Iuchi shugenja, but it was impossible to keep up. The Moto made a a showing by giving up on horses and marching through as a unit through the heaviest part of the fighting and ignoring the snowballs, but the other clans didn't understand what their intention was.
Appearance

Soshi Kazusa

Postby Soshi Kazusa » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:26 pm

Kazusa listens to the tale with amused interest, but shows very little of it. Not to make the Crane feel unappreciated, but secretly, because to show she wasn't impressed, the maiden might double her efforts into greatness.

Return to “Five Ringed Pottery”