[Day 28, EE, Private] You will pry my calming tea from my Fortune Cursed hands.

The Dragon Clan Champion keeps a limited but aptly chosen selection of tea for his guests. No reservations are required, but Lord Shikei does encourage guests to wait patiently between uses.
Moshi Janisha

Re: [Day 28, EE, Private] You will pry my calming tea from my Fortune Cursed hands.

Postby Moshi Janisha » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:00 pm

Earth matched Air soon after, "The Lion are ever honourable, so your actions this court must have truly impressed him. I wonder which ones in particular."

Ok, that was a little cruel, time to dial it back. Especially since she hadn't the luck in love that Nikako had... its unfair to tease if you can't have it turned around just a little.

"I believe it will come. We will meet again, almost certainly." Her smile fades a touch and looks slightly sad, "I remember I promised you I would one day leave Rokugan and never return...and as such I should take the smallest fan. You convinced me otherwise, but it seems I was wrong. I misunderstood what the water kami meant by home, Nikako...."
•Colonial Mantis • Disturbing Countenance (unhealthy pale skin) • Gaijin Name •
As of day 29, her skin colour is now pale, like she has never seen a day of sunlight, with a slightly unhealthy pallor to it
Description

Tamori Nikako

Re: [Day 28, EE, Private] You will pry my calming tea from my Fortune Cursed hands.

Postby Tamori Nikako » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:34 pm

which Lion.. Certainly a mystery for the ages

She took the higher path and decided to not tease her back about finding a steady floor somewhere. That would just have been mean.

At the hint of sadness, Nikako showed concern. "you will not return to Zugeku then?"
IMPERIAL NIKAKO

Moshi Janisha

Postby Moshi Janisha » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:47 pm

((OOC: Screw it... since this will be my last thread with Nikako I am throwing our little Tamori a bone, as I want her reaction to this news.))

Janisha paused. Could she trust her with the why? Of course tie to Shahai would have made going home hard anyway, but the situation as clan champion would have made it harder.

Finally she said, fan still high up, and in a very quiet voice, "Don't tell anyone... but I have some interesting news on day 29...the kind of news that involves swearing to the Emperor... and carrying a fairly famous Kama." A nervous smile graced her lips, "And if I hear the word sama come out of your mouth before its official...." The threat trails off, but her nervousness is still there.

Surely this won't change things. She already knew who I was as a person. Does my status in the Empire really matter that much?
As of day 29, her skin colour is now pale, like she has never seen a day of sunlight, with a slightly unhealthy pallor to it
Description

Tamori Nikako

Postby Tamori Nikako » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:34 pm

((OOC: sharing is caring they say! hehe))

Nikakos fan hid her initial reaction, but when it moved, there was a slight smirk on her lips "Suppose I will hold my congratulations till then as well Janisha-san". Nikako seemed to take the news in stride, then again little seemed to rattle the young dragon. She had met many of the Mantis and if they where to have a new champion.. she found Janisha would not be a bad choice, if she could find the balance of her duty, or maybe it was just as much that imbalance that made her mantis - Nikako still had much to learn of the other clans.

Nikako lowered her fan and instead picked up her cup and raised it towards her friend to whom she would soon have to bow alot lower. Soon, but not now.
"To future blessings"
IMPERIAL NIKAKO

Moshi Janisha

Postby Moshi Janisha » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:51 pm

Janisha repeats the gesture, "To a future not consumed by darkness. May we, and all of Rokugan, and Zogeku, find the ending they desire."

Her hand gently brushes against the box with her, a simple minor action and she thinks, Let us hope such a fate is possible for me. But if I must spend my final moments as a sane human with someone... Nikako is probably among the better choices.

Hopefully it won't come to that and with the dawn I will still be fine.

"I never did ask," She said, moving onto potentially less world shaking conversations, "If that's one continuous Tattoo, and if its your only one? We did promise to discuss our art at some point during that drunkeness after all." She paused and adds slightly nervously, "Even if I did have to replace all my supplies due to that....complication."
Description

Tamori Nikako

Postby Tamori Nikako » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:37 pm

Nikako sipped her tea to complete the toasts. She noticed Janishas slight lean towards the box but thinks little more of it. She guessed Janisha would not be caring it around if it wasn't important, and knowing what else she had been in possession of that court.. she knew better than to ask.

Her face softened at the change of topic "Ahh but it is, and I do" she pointed to her left thigh "I have a perched eagle from when I was first known as The Eagle-eyed Aid. It was the first larger tattoo I made myself. The Dragon is.. more of a story. It dose run from my foot, coils around my leg then passes my hip and runs across the back and over the shoulder to rest at my heart" she rested her hand on her own shoulder and the there was the briefest hint of pain as she did. A closer look would show the skin was slightly red and agitated near the dragons claw, and there was just a hint of something purple-ish blue half-hidden under the dragons body.
"Both rather common motifs here. What about your 'henna'? Is there a special style to it?"
IMPERIAL NIKAKO

Moshi Janisha

Postby Moshi Janisha » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:18 pm

Janisha considered what she had caught in that brief glance. She saw something...a recent update perhaps? Deciding that it would be best for Nikako to tell the story should she do so, "Perhaps a common motif, but one that has more then one meaning, yes? At least the Dragon. Should you be willing to tell the mentioned story of the Dragon, I would gladly hear it."

Janisha looked a little uncomfortable for a moment as talk moved to Henna before she smiled, her tone a little hesitant, "This one has decided that on day 29, she will go before the court as she truly is. It will be tempting to put the mask back on for it has been a part of me for so long. Thus using quite a bit of the Henna acquired by Konjo-sama from the realm of animal spirits seems like a wise decision, yes?"

She understood if Nikako said no. She completely understood in fact, given that she had earlier this court run in claiming her supplies had been tainted. But she had also confirmed this stock was not...that it was something new.

It would be up to her if she was that curious.

In the meantime, she waved over a servant, asking for some paper, brush and an inkstone. She they arrived, Janisha began to explain, "Henna, and specifically Mehndi is an art of simplicity leading to complexity. Unlike a true tattoo it can only use two colours...your skintone and the Henna. Even Sumi-e has shades and shadow to call upon," She paused and corrected herself, "No...a true master of Henna can create shades to a degree but it takes much greater time to do so, turning a process that would normally take an hour, into something that could take a day."

Drawing on the paper with the brush, she continues, "However, simply by altering the thickness of the lines, we can give the perception of distance, of slight variations in colour, and with simple curves and bends we can bring something that should be static and cold to life. And in that form, it can be far more alive then anything I could describe with words."

"But that is not enough. Shape and form can be conveyed using only two colours, but how does one fill in the details in the middle. A dragon without scales isn't all that impressive. Yet most animals don't have such a feature. Just as a Kimono with only two colours has nothing on that which has a touch of art, creatures depicted in henna tend to be layered... Mostly only two layers due to the limited size space on the body, but when places on paper or your chest or back you can do something truly wonderful."

Stopping, Janisha passed over what she had done so far. The drawing wasn't done by any stretch, but the mentioned layering was there. An Elephant stood proudly upon the paper, its head turned to look out of the page. Its hind quarters were filled with circular Mandala and in the gaps between the circles, their were two additional smaller Mandala, interlocking spirals that seemed both appart and joined to the larger ones around them.
Description

Tamori Nikako

Postby Tamori Nikako » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:30 am

Janiasha was right, and there had indeed been made a recent update to Nikakos tattoo. A flower had been added to the dragons claw, its bloom mostly hidden by its body. A purple-blue flower with just a touch of yellow near its centre. "I will gladly tell my dragons story, but first I wish to hear yours" she smiled.

((OOC just putting a pin in it, so we dont have two conversations going at once))

Nikako did not answer right away to Janishas suggestion. She did not fear it was tainted, for she saw not falsehood or deceit in her words, but.. Gozatos view on the henna had been quite clear. It was unclean. And Janisha herself had been covered in the tainted henna for quite a while...
The young dragon listened to the small lecture on this most strange art, and looked on curiously as Janisha drew on the paper. "It seems there are similarities in our works processes" she commented "When tattooing, we start with one colour, to set the framework of the piece, then add more colours or shades to breathe life into it, to create.. patterns" it was a strange thought how two things seemingly so different, could still be so alike, with the right perspective. A dangerous path perhaps.

The drawing was passed and Nikako tilted her head just slightly at the sight "So there is a certain way to do it, a method to the patterns and a meaning to the use of.. creatures?" her curiosity was clear.

I will likely never get this chance again.. and even Gozato-sama had not thought it worse than his own curiosity had allowed it.

It would not be a wise example to follow, but the fact still stands... and if the henna was conjured from the spirits realm by a shugenja, it would be an insult to doubt their sincerity.

"Your art is truly different and strange to me, but this one think something might be learned from it still" there was a slightly hesitant smile to her lips "The wisdom of your words ring true as well and perhaps it may help centre you for what tomorrow may bring, to practice your art"
IMPERIAL NIKAKO

Moshi Janisha

Postby Moshi Janisha » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:15 pm

Janisha frowns, thinking about the time, "Nikako-san, the gate is closed....I must ask forgiveness, but I cannot actually demonstrate tonight. Perhaps on day 30 in the Late Afternoon? Or maybe in the early morning on Day 31." A very small upturn of the lips, "A Mantis is never late or early, she arrives exactly when she means to...and that of course applies to leaving as well."

I swear, that gate has been the curse of me all court. It is wise of the Dragon to close it, but to have all my stuff outside the castle....this is the third or fourth time it has caused problems.

However she could continue to talk of the art, "The creatures to a degree, but that's less related to the art and more to just culture. Just as the Dragon is wise, the Scorpion sneaky, the Lion powerful in Rokugan, the animals of Zogeku have their own meanings, especially to the Ivindi. The Elephant," She gestures to the drawing, "is wise, for it will live for over 100 years, and is the source of the Sacred substance of Ivory. The Rhino is protective....a baby rhino is possibly the safest animal on earth, for only a fool would try and attack that armoured, angry creature. The Tiger is terrifying, and finally the snake represents rebirth....unless its red."

Gesturing back to the art she said, "However these Mandala are something else entirely. The closer you look at Ivindi faith the more you see similarities. A Kharmic Wheel, the five elements, Chi, enlightenment....given that Shinsei is supposed to have reached the Ivory Kingdoms towards the end of his life, this isn't entirely surprising. The art of Henna is supposed to interact with chi...although if it did ever do so, that talent is lost. However the focus it gives the drawer, or the watcher is far more apparent, and its why I favour Mandala or flowers or arches in my designs rather then the symbols that are supposed to interact with chi.."

She turns the paper over, and begins to draw a full sized Mandala, "The basic Mandala is supposed to focus all those who look upon it, and represent the wholeness of creation, just as Enso does for us. Thus if it does interact with chi it does so in a balanced way. However instead of a simple circle, to use as a focus tool to look upon, the very act of drawing a Mandala is supposed to aid in the focus. More complex ones can take hours just drawing the same patterns over and over...."

This drawing was quicker, and over was passed a four layer Mandala that looked nothing like the more complex ones that were on the elephant, a simple Enso style circle, surrounded by a square with a 'gate' on each side, "The circle is usually a single point, although details often fill it. It is supposed to represent the begining of everything, the Universe in its unmanifested state, when we were all waiting to come forth from the Void. The square is the barrier between the outer world, the world we live in and the inner world, the world of the soul. Sometimes many squares are added to represent how we may not remember our past life, but they effect our soul, effect how we see the world."

She paused and stopped, "I really shouldn't talk much more on this. Not only do I lack the appropriate true understanding to answer any questions that come from it, its a gaijin religon..."

And while not technically blasphemy to discuss it... its not exactly widely accepted.

"Still...the patterns do their job....removing you from the world around you and focusing on the drawing, focusing on its meanings, and having your thoughts turn inwards."
Description

Return to “The Tea House”