[Day 17 MID] Thoughts of the young to the old

The Dragon Clan Champion keeps a limited but aptly chosen selection of tea for his guests. No reservations are required, but Lord Shikei does encourage guests to wait patiently between uses.
Utaku Yamada

Re: [Day 17 MID] Thoughts of the young to the old

Postby Utaku Yamada » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:34 am

Yamada nodded mutely. She sipped her tea, recovering herself a little. "She wanted us to look forward, and outward, not back," said Yamada. "Looking back gives me purpose though."
Utaku Yamada - Unicorn Clan - Shiotome - Rider of the Steppes - Delegation Head - Lost Love - Hero of the People - True Love
Married to Yasuki Nakura, Day 19
Widowed, Day 28

Togashi Gozato

Postby Togashi Gozato » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:06 am

"Do you need more purpose, Utaku-sama?" inquires Gozato quietly, lifting an eyebrow. "I need not speak to the wisdom of looking where you are riding, I hope. I am no horseman, but I would think that such a metaphor would go without needing to be said. I am certain Shinsei offered something about that, somewhere."

There is a hint of a smile at the joke, and Gozato looks to see if his attempt at humor has lightened Yamada's mood at all.
Togashi Gozato
Monk * Tattooed * Sensei * Love Letter
Benten's Blessing

Utaku Yamada

Postby Utaku Yamada » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:08 am

"Perhaps, Togashi-sama," said Yamada, smiling a little at the joke. "Or perhaps I have a purpose though. I am a samurai, my purpose is to serve."
Utaku Yamada - Unicorn Clan - Shiotome - Rider of the Steppes - Delegation Head - Lost Love - Hero of the People - True Love
Widowed, Day 28

Togashi Gozato

Postby Togashi Gozato » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:26 am

"And how can you best serve your Lord and your Clan?" asks Togashi Gozato curiously. "The Emerald Empire is consumed with pain over what it has lost. We say that this is a betrayal, a sin that we can never forget, but in truth... I do not believe it. I have hope that we shall overcome even this terrible loss. I have hope that there will come a day when children born will know nothing of the betrayal of the Spider Clan, and the Emerald Empire will fill their lives with simple purpose. I hope to be reborn in such a time."
Togashi Gozato
Benten's Blessing

Utaku Yamada

Postby Utaku Yamada » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:31 am

"I hope to live in such a time," said Yamada. "As for your question, I am tempted to give you a simple answer, one that I learned and ought to give...except I don't think it fits. It's...the wrong shape."
Widowed, Day 28

Togashi Gozato

Postby Togashi Gozato » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:47 am

"You do not feel that you are able to serve your Lord and Clan best by the path you have been given?" asks Gozato, lifting up his tea cup for another sip. A glance goes to the servant at hand, and a fresh cup of tea is soon brought forward with the old one taken away.

"Or is the matter something else?"
Togashi Gozato
Benten's Blessing

Utaku Yamada

Postby Utaku Yamada » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:56 am

"No, not that," said Yamada. "It may be the path itself. Such rigidity to tradition seems strange in our world. Particularly when that flies in the face of what we see in front of us. We are told what to do, who to be, who is above us and below us. And if everyone does not keep their place on this orderly shogi-board of existence, there will be chaos. But that is not what we see. Not chaos, and not order. Something we don't even know how to deal with." She sipped her tea. "Togashi-sama, I was there when I saw a Lion Damiyo accept a pesasant army as a legitimate fighting force. His grandfather would not have hesitated to cut them down for the rebels he saw them to be." She paused again, remembering the petition. "And yet we still have tradition, at least when it suits us."
Widowed, Day 28

Togashi Gozato

Postby Togashi Gozato » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:09 am

Utaku Yamada wrote:"And yet we still have tradition, at least when it suits us."

"I was alive when Yakamo the Sun and Hitomi the Moon were cast down out of the Heavens, and Kitsuki Iweko was made divine," offers Togashi Gozato simply. "Do you know how terrifying it is to see the Sun literally be thrown from the sky, and another takes its place? Can you imagine? My master, Togashi Kanemaru, was born before the Second Day of Thunder and told me of 27 days after the Lady Hitomi killed Lord Onnatangu, when there was no sun in the sky and the very world was unraveling. He told me also of the Rain of Blood that swept the Empire, turning neighbor on neighbor. All these things happened, and yet now we live in an age which is called unprecedented..."

He shakes his head before sipping his tea.

"The greatest burden of age is that even the novel and new seems only to be the echo of the old. The greatest wisdom of age is that even the echo of the old is novel and new."
Togashi Gozato
Benten's Blessing

Utaku Yamada

Postby Utaku Yamada » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:30 am

Yamada considered this while sipping her tea. "I suppose you have had many young people coming to you, Togashi-sama, saying that nothing like what is happening has happened before and everything happening right now is so very important."
Last edited by Utaku Yamada on Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Widowed, Day 28

Togashi Gozato

Postby Togashi Gozato » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:45 am

"And none of them are lying when they say it," offers Gozato with a nod. "Such is the power of youth, to believe so whole-heartedly that this is the first time something has ever happened. First loves, first losses, first broken bone, first child... Each life is a world, Utaku-sama, and each first changes that world. The trick to living well is not letting that light fade, even as we know better.

"The entire world stood on the bring of being unraveled from existence during the Battle at Oblivion's Gate. The Emerald Empire overcame that challenge. We will overcome this one."
Togashi Gozato
Benten's Blessing

Return to “The Tea House”