[Day 23 - EA] Koan and Riddles

The Dragon Clan Champion keeps a limited but aptly chosen selection of tea for his guests. No reservations are required, but Lord Shikei does encourage guests to wait patiently between uses.
Akodo Kibo

Re: [Day 23 - EA] Koan and Riddles

Postby Akodo Kibo » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:10 pm

"I think too often we see Chugo as something that we owe to our superiors." Kibo says, "but it also speaks to the responsibility that we have to our subordinates as well."

"When Matsu Tsuko accepted the shame and responsibility, as you said she also freed her subordinates from the bonds of Sincerity." Kibo sips his tea, "Perhaps my point is, be sure that when the time comes, that you remember your responsibility to your subordinates as well as to your Lord. No samurai should be truly expendable."
Loyal • Paragon • Veteran • Lion Gunso
I've seen things. The towers of Shiro sano Ken Hayai on fire just over the horizon. I watched Lion steel glitter in the dark near the Toshi Ranbo gates. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Soshi Kazusa

Postby Soshi Kazusa » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:11 am

Akodo Kibo wrote:"When Matsu Tsuko accepted the shame and responsibility, as you said she also freed her subordinates from the bonds of Sincerity." Kibo sips his tea, "Perhaps my point is, be sure that when the time comes, that you remember your responsibility to your subordinates as well as to your Lord. No samurai should be truly expendable."

"Indeed, when faced with an impossible fight, we tell our foes we will sell our lives dearly, there is a cost for a samurai's death, and it must be paid", Kazusa nods. "Though you have brought this up for a purpose, in my asking of your view. I would like you to explain if you can."
Scorpion Clan • Loyal • Samurai • Delegation Head
"Some mourn loss, never realizing their dream yet lives. Others boast victory, unable to imagine their defeat. Both are fools. The game goes on."

Akodo Kibo

Postby Akodo Kibo » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:54 am

"The only purpose that I bring is this," Kibo says, "There is this inkling that I have that some may not be the enemies they purport themselves to be. It may be nothing, I may be caught up in a web, a stinger waiting to drop into my back."

"But if it is true," Kibo sips his tea, "Then they should make for such a death that all who hear of it will stand in wonder. That is a Lion's view of reality."
I've seen things. The towers of Shiro sano Ken Hayai on fire just over the horizon. I watched Lion steel glitter in the dark near the Toshi Ranbo gates. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Soshi Kazusa

Postby Soshi Kazusa » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:35 pm

Kazusa nods at his words. "Then one seeking wisdom will listen."

"May I tell you what I see, Akodo-san?"
"Some mourn loss, never realizing their dream yet lives. Others boast victory, unable to imagine their defeat. Both are fools. The game goes on."

Akodo Kibo

Postby Akodo Kibo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:32 pm

"It would only seem fair, Soshi Kazusa-san." Kibo replies, then takes a sip of tea.

Soshi Kazusa

Postby Soshi Kazusa » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:15 pm

Akodo Kibo wrote:"It would only seem fair, Soshi Kazusa-san." Kibo replies, then takes a sip of tea.

"I see the Lion on a precipice, faced with what they see as a similar choice to the one they had made nearly ninety years ago. One way is back the way they came, rallying behind their honorable leadership to march into the jaws of Jigoku fearlessly. Another way is off the cliff, leaving behind their honor for victory, and allowing one standing tallest among them to purge their shame when the deed is done."

"Yet that is not all I see, Akodo-san. For the Lion have not climbed high enough to see there is a third choice, which is the most obvious to one such as myself. That choice is humility. To take the Emperor on your back and climb higher on the mountain, to place him back in the light no matter to cost. That is how the Right Hand can protect us all, and with your Champion as Shogun, you are in a unique position to do so."

Akodo Kibo

Postby Akodo Kibo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:22 pm

"But are we equipped to climb?" Kibo asks, "For seventeen years we have been winnowed and reduced. Our best and brightest, those that know the way up the mountain were left on the rocky ledges below. Most of us who are left know only war, and how to wage it. We might be shown the third path, but we must climb ourselves."

Soshi Kazusa

Postby Soshi Kazusa » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:37 pm

"There are many forms of strength, and a samurai draws upon them all. When the body fails, there is spirit, when the spirit fails there is commitment. This last is what cannot be broken."

Oh, really, Kazu-chan? Take your own advice.

"All that is needed is direction, it may be a long climb, but if you are committed, not even death is an obstacle."

Master Tsunetomo wrote:Even if one's head were to be suddenly cut off, he should be able to do one more action with certainty. With martial valor, if one becomes like a revengeful ghost and shows great determination, though his head is cut off, he should not die.

Akodo Kibo

Postby Akodo Kibo » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:32 pm

"I have seen the two paths, the easy paths of destruction that leave nothing behind but a violent shout of defiance to destiny." Kibo looks into his cup, "On that night of evil dreams, the same two paths were shown to me. Remain stalwart and stand loyal despite the surety of destruction or sacrifice all in the hope that others will not need to."

"Then, perhaps out of defiance, I seemed to choose a third path," Kibo says. "To seek heaven, to defend the honor of my clan, and not to fall to the easy paths."

Soshi Kazusa

Postby Soshi Kazusa » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:24 pm

Akodo Kibo wrote:"Then, perhaps out of defiance, I seemed to choose a third path," Kibo says. "To seek heaven, to defend the honor of my clan, and not to fall to the easy paths."

"As one who comes from a clan that...specializes...in offering only two options, what you say could be defiance", Kazusa observes. "However, in defiance of what? Surely not heaven, surely not honor. Defiant of fate?"

Return to “The Tea House”