[EVENT, Day 10, Early Evening] Unicorn Storytelling

Residence of the Elite Mirumoto House Guard. At least a quarter of the castle’s samurai sleep here at any given time. Accommodations are sparse, though not spartan. Most of the warriors here keep books in addition to typical mementos and necessities.
Shiba Michio

Re: [EVENT, Day 10, Early Evening] Unicorn Storytelling

Postby Shiba Michio » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:09 am

Michio takes the baton. He considers for a moment, or perhaps an infinity.

"I know few stories but one occurs that may amuse our Unicorn friends.

One hot afternoon the Little Master was out walking. His feet were tired, and his back ached. Seeing a huge old tree, he settled down in it's shade.

'Ah, what a pity,' he thought as he fell to sleep. 'Such a gnarled old tree is useless.'

In his dream, the Little Master heard a voice from high above him. He opened his eyes to see the tree's leaves shake, and a voice rained down around him.

'What a pity! What a pity to be useless you say! Trees that grow straight and tall are used to make ships. Those that are strong get turned into houses at a young age. It is a useful thing for a tree to be useless, that we might grow old and provide shade to thankless travelers.'

With that, the Little Master awoke, and pondered the lesson the tree had given him."
Shiba Swordsman - Sensei of the Black Hand - Day 30: Obsidian Oracle - Bearer of the Obsidian Hand
"This is a start."

Wearing a band of old cloth (the sling of the yojimbo of the first lord of the Suzume) around his wrist.

Soshi Kazusa

Postby Soshi Kazusa » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:32 am

Michio's tale was an old one, and one that the Scorpion enjoyed, though the version from Scorpion lands had some oddities by comparison, she decided to keep them to herself and just offered her applause with the rest.
Scorpion Clan • Loyal • Samurai • Delegation Head
"Some mourn loss, never realizing their dream yet lives. Others boast victory, unable to imagine their defeat. Both are fools. The game goes on."

Daigotsu Yukari

Postby Daigotsu Yukari » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:35 am

Yukari took in the tales following hers with clear enjoyment.

Clearly, the novelty was appreciated. She caught sight of Soshi Kazusa and gave her usual respectful nod.

Hm, that duel was today, wasn't it? I wonder how it went.
Spider * Daigotsu Bushi * Honorary Rinjin
Wears a necklace with a pearl carved with a Spider mon.
"The Maw. Iuchiban. Kali-Ma. Fu Leng. We've killed them all. Forgive me if I'm not impressed by you."

Soul of Tonbo Taira/Isawa Taisho

Kakita Kyoumi

Postby Kakita Kyoumi » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:59 am

Kyoumi takes the baton. This isn't the right story....I don't know the right story.....but this is /a/ story....

The court poet starts her tale, and her voice rings clearly across the barracks as she speaks. A small smile turns the corners of her lips...the laughter in her tale very different from previous tales, to be sure.

"High in the Heavens, Prince Meadow Lark was a mighty Story-Teller. He often visited the Court of the Celestial Emperor, and his humor and wit, and his many wonderful stories, made him a great favorite of the Court. But, in every court, there who would be jealous of him, and who sought to discredit him in the eyes of the Celestial Emperor. And so they whispered and whispered and whispered, until one day the Celestial Emperor summoned Prince Meadow Lark before the Celestial Throne.

“Prince Meadow Lark!” the Celestial Emperor declared. “You have told many stories at my court, and talked of many strange and wonderful things. But I long to see one thing that I have never seen before. I wish to see the Truth. If you cannot show me the Truth, you have no place in the Celestial Court. "

Prince Meadow Lark bowed deeply to the Celestial Emperor. “I can show you the Truth, if you but give me Three days to gather it, my Lord. I will fetch it to you for all to see.”

The Celestial Emperor nodded, and Prince Meadow Lark hurried on his way. The jealous members of the Court schemed among themselves, awaiting his return. They thought he would fail, because they did not believe that there existed such a thing as the Truth and were sure the task was impossible.

But in three days, the Storyteller returned, and behind him, his yojimbo carried three great platters, each covered with a great lid. Prince Meadow Lark bowed deeply before the Celestial Emperor. "I have brought you the truth, as you have wished. But I must warn you, my Lord, you must look very carefully when you look at the Truth. A foolish man is, after all, unable to recognize the Truth when it is shown to him. Also, the Truth may be a frightening thing. Are you certain you wish to see it?”

The Celestial Emperor nodded, and the Celestial Court looked eagerly at the great Platter of Silver to see what he had hidden there. Prince Meadow Lark went to the first yojimbo, and lifted the great lid of the platter, but on it lay a Truth no larger than a single grain of rice.

The Celestial Court was mightily offended, and began speaking among themselves behind raised fans. Even the Celestial Emperor was angry. “What is the meaning of this?” He demanded. “This Truth is too puny and insignificant for the Celestial Court of the Emperor of the Nine Heavenly Mountains and the Five Rivers of Fire and the Three Bottomless Seas. The Celestial Emperor is deserving of a Greater Truth than this! Get it out of my sight immediately!”

Prince Meadow Lark looked worriedly at the angry members of the Court, and even more at the angry Celestial Emperor, and he quickly swallowed the Truth like a Rice Grain so that none of the Court might have to look upon it further. He then bowed, even deeper, and said, “I have brought another Truth that is larger, if you wish to see it. Maybe that will please you?”

The Celestial Emperor nodded, and Prince Meadow Lark lifted the lid from the second platter, which was made of pure gold. On it, there lay a Truth that was round and plump and no bigger than a single green bean.

The Celestial Court was even more offended, and started to whisper of mockery. The Celestial Emperor began to turn red. Great was his fury. “I asked for Truth, and you bring me this thing, no larger than a Bean? I rule the 700 orders of Animals and the 700 orders of Fishes and the 700 orders of Birds, and the Dragons of Heaven bow before me! You think that I would be satisfied with such a small Truth? Remove it from this place immediately!”

Prince Meadow Lark looked even more worried, and hurriedly swallowed the Truth like a Green Bean to conceal it from the Emperor as quick as could be. “Very well, my Lord,” he finally said. “I have one last Truth I can show you. Do you truly wish to see it? It is much larger than the others, but...”

The Emperor roared “Show it to me!”

Prince Meadow Lark quickly bowed, and lifted the lid of the platter made of Jade. Immediately, there sprung from the platter the most hideous bakemono that ever existed. His eyes were in his belly and his mouth was on the top of his head and he had feet where his ears should be and arms where his feet should be. The bakemono howled and gibbered and raced around the Court of the Celestial Heavens, screaming a blood-curdling cry. The courtiers dived behind cushions and crawled under the takama, terrified out of their minds, for any who looked upon the bakemono was filled with terror and dread. Even the Celestial Emperor ducked behind the Celestial Throne.

Finally, the mighty warrior, Princess Fury, grabbed the Celestial Jade Chamberpot and used it to crush the Bakemono into Jigoku. Slowly, the Celestial Court recovered themselves, and the Celestial Emperor returned to his seat upon the throne.

After a long period of time, the Emperor said, with caution, “Is that the last thing you have to show me, Prince Meadow Lark?”

Prince Meadow Lark nodded, and said, “Hai, my Lord. Fury has killed the Truth.”

The Emperor thought about this for a long moment, and said finally. “I wish to examine the other Truths more carefully. Perhaps the Celestial Court was too hasty in judging them inadequate.”

Prince Meadow Lark shook his head. “I am very sorry, my Lord, but in order to remove them from your sight, I was forced to swallow those Truths. I cannot bring them back. But, my Lord. If the Celestial Court watches and listens very carefully when I speak, they may manage to catch a glimpse of those truths from where they lie now.”

And with that, he turned and left the Celestial Court."
Nightingale-sensei. Crane Court Poet. Aide to the Voice of the Emperor. Voice. Inner Blessing: Animal Ken.
Wears a necklace of silver and steel with an aquamarine cameo of a crane, a jade bead bracelet, and two iron rings with obsidian and jade.
Appearance

Yoritomo Mei

Postby Yoritomo Mei » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:19 am

Utaku Yamada wrote:So many stories, but she knew there would be one not shared tonight. As Kuniken finished his story, Yamada turned her attention to Yoritomo Mei. She stood and bowed and invited her to sit beside her.

"I do not think we have been introduced, I am Ukatu Yamada. Tell me Mantis-san, will you have a story to share with us this evening?"

Mei nods optimistically and accepts the courtesy, moving to sit next to Yamada"Excuse-me, Utaku-san!" she sits comfortably, adjusting her outfits "I'm Yoritomo Mei, nice to meet you! Thank you so much for the invitation!" she pauses briefly, and proceeds "I'm really motivated to share a story with everyone, but I'm still thinking about what option I have is the most interesting one!" then she smiles to Yamada "Your story was the most sensitive! Does it have a special meaning for you?"
Nativist Mantis • Merchant and Actress • Yoritomo Courtier • Dangerous Beauty • Hero of the people • Sensation

Utaku Yamada

Postby Utaku Yamada » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:23 am

Yoritomo Mei wrote:
Utaku Yamada wrote:So many stories, but she knew there would be one not shared tonight. As Kuniken finished his story, Yamada turned her attention to Yoritomo Mei. She stood and bowed and invited her to sit beside her.

"I do not think we have been introduced, I am Ukatu Yamada. Tell me Mantis-san, will you have a story to share with us this evening?"

Mei nods optimistically and accepts the courtesy, moving to sit next to Yamada"Excuse-me, Utaku-san!" she sits comfortably, adjusting her outfits "I'm Yoritomo Mei, nice to meet you! Thank you so much for the invitation!" she pauses briefly, and proceeds "I'm really motivated to share a story with everyone, but I'm still thinking about what option I have is the most interesting one!" then she smiles to Yamada "Your story was the most sensitive! Does it have a special meaning for you?"

"Well, I suppose it does, Yoritomo-san," said Yamada thoughtfully. "I thought there could be something said about the difference between doing the correct thing and the right thing."
Utaku Yamada - Unicorn Clan - Shiotome - Rider of the Steppes - Delegation Head - Lost Love - Hero of the People - True Love
Married to Yasuki Nakura, Day 19
Widowed, Day 28

Kaiu Oda

Postby Kaiu Oda » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:53 am

Oda takes the baton.

"I'll start off by apologizing to any courtly ears that suffer discomfort at the gruesomeness of my words. For I have two tales to share, how I lost my arm and how I lost my eye."

He points the baton to each in turn.

"The arm happened shortly after the Crab's glorious victory at Shiro Usagi. The army was marching along to our next destination when out of the treeline burst a half dozen demonic hounds. To this day I don't know how they bypassed our perimeter sentries, but within seconds they were upon the column.

"One of them came straight for me and his teeth clamped down upon my arm. My armor kept him from simply biting it off and I began smashing his face with my war fan."

He mimics the action with the baton.

"We were locked in a stalemate. He refused to release my arm, but neither could he tear it off. Eventually I managed to drive the haft of my fan into his eye socket."

Again he demonstrates the movement with the baton.

"The light faded from his other eye and he fell limp, though even in death he refused to relax his jaw.

"By that point the rest of the pack had been dealt with, his mouth was pried open, and I was dragged off to the Kuni healers. They found that the wound was not Tainted, but the limb was not savable.

"Now even back then the loss of the fields of Ryoko Owari meant that there was little opium to go around. So rather than numb me to the pain they simply placed a block of wood in my mouth while they took a hack saw and...

"To their credit it was over in a matter of seconds. Though I feel no shame in saying I drove my teeth at least a half inch into that wood.

"It wasn't a great loss all things considered. Barely even slowed me down. I was on my feet giving orders in a week."

He points toward his mask with the baton.

"The eye was another matter. This was only a few years ago, when Kanpeki dragged his desiccated carcass out of the Pit and launched he new offensive. I was commanding a ballista when out of the ground emerges an oni. Looked like a great armored worm, at least three stories high, with a bunch of wriggling legs."

He moves his fingers to simulate the wriggling.

"Out of its forehead it spews this viscous, black-green liquid at the battery to my left. Within seconds a half dozen men were reduced to... A half dozen men were just gone."

He takes a moment to collect himself.

"So a wad of this liquid, acid, splashes and lands right in my eye. The pain was unbelievable. Take the sensation of having your flesh burned and eaten simultaneously an you've got a fraction of an idea of it.

"I still had enough wits about me to order a full barrage on the demon. Even with a half dozen bolts piercing its hide it still had enough life in it to bleed to death.

"So once again I'm off to the Kuni. Only this time, since my depth perception isn't so good anymore, it was decided I could better serve the army in an administrative capacity. Which I did and that eventually got me sent here. And as much as I'm honored to be here I can't deny that I would prefer to be on the front bringing righteous justice to the enemy."

He gestures to the room.

"But then wouldn't we all?"

With that he hands off the baton.
Crab Clan * The Iron Mask * Delegation Head * Veteran * Commander * Siege * No Left Eye * No Left Arm * Disturbing Countenance

-If the bird won't sing kill it.-

Kakita Kyoumi

Postby Kakita Kyoumi » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:41 pm

Kaiu Oda wrote:"But then wouldn't we all?"
With that he hands off the baton.

Kyoumi has heard a lot of stories.
But she's never heard one recounted quite like that....

He boasts his scars. How strange.

The sky outside is growing darker.

Best to focus on the stories.

"Kaiu-sama," she asks, as the Crab sits down. "Is that a traditional kind of storytelling among your clan?"
Nightingale-sensei. Crane Court Poet. Aide to the Voice of the Emperor. Voice. Inner Blessing: Animal Ken.
Wears a necklace of silver and steel with an aquamarine cameo of a crane, a jade bead bracelet, and two iron rings with obsidian and jade.
Appearance

Kaiu Oda

Postby Kaiu Oda » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:57 pm

Kakita Kyoumi wrote:"Kaiu-sama," she asks, as the Crab sits down. "Is that a traditional kind of storytelling among your clan?"

His hand goes to the back of his head. "Um, I don't think so. At least I was never formally taught. But when the Unicorn announced this event they mentioned tales of sacrifice. I thought my personal tale would be worth sharing."
Crab Clan * The Iron Mask * Delegation Head * Veteran * Commander * Siege * No Left Eye * No Left Arm * Disturbing Countenance

-If the bird won't sing kill it.-

Kakita Kyoumi

Postby Kakita Kyoumi » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:01 pm

Kaiu Oda wrote:His hand goes to the back of his head. "Um, I don't think so. At least I was never formally taught. But when the Unicorn announced this event they mentioned tales of sacrifice. I thought my personal tale would be worth sharing."

"A worthy sacrifice," she says simply. "It just surprised me, is all, the way it was told. It's all right. How have you been?"
Appearance

Return to “Barracks”