[Day 13 - Midday] Clearing One's Mind

None could honestly say the gardens of Shiro Mirumoto are the most glorious, at least not since the Dragon Clan's setting of the trend centuries ago. But they are still serene and provocative in the way that only the Dragon can make them. A few evergreens dot the landscape. Stones here are plentiful and the winter snow compliments, rather than subdues, its beauty. The evergreen plants here have been pruned and arranged to represent the winter of the life of Mirumoto who died in his prime fighting during the Day of Thunder
Togashi Gozato

[Day 13 - Midday] Clearing One's Mind

Postby Togashi Gozato » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:02 am

Togashi Gozato strides out of the gathered courtiers still milling about after the court was abruptly adjourned. One of the Mirumoto House Guard steps forward for a moment, handing the elder ise zumi a heavy robe. The old man bows to the younger woman.

"Thank you, Mirumoto-sama," he offers, before slipping the heavier robe on over his shoulders. He walks from there, not glancing back to ensure Yoritomo Mei is following. He walks with the simple confidence of someone who knows they are being followed.
Togashi Gozato
Monk * Tattooed * Sensei * Love Letter
Benten's Blessing

Yoritomo Mei

Re: [Day 13 - Midday] Clearing One's Mind

Postby Yoritomo Mei » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:01 am

Mei simply follows the ise zumi at some distance through the garden, a bit insecure for doesn't know the proper approach for that moment. Besides that, she entertained herself easily contemplating the splendid landscape adorned by snow. She stays like this for some time until she finally had the courage to sketch some words.

The girl begins with a brief introduction "Togashi-sensei... We are already halfway through the court and... I don't know if I mentioned it, but I'm a little experienced courtier. Until recently, I was a humble merchant who had no other concerns but to have her work done. But my Lord has put his trust in me to be here and the court itself has been a good learning method. But diplomacy is not as simple as I thought, I'm very lost in the imperial political and official affairs."

Finally, she reaches her goal "Forgive me my ignorance, but... the words of that woman... why it could it be offensive to the emperor? It seemed innocent to me." Mei didn't expect a friendly response to her silly question, but she was the one asking for help, after all.
Nativist Mantis • Merchant and Actress • Yoritomo Courtier • Dangerous Beauty • Hero of the people • Sensation

Togashi Gozato

Postby Togashi Gozato » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:21 am

"The words of which woman?" asks Togashi Gozato, lifting an eyebrow simply. "Do you speak of Kakita Kyoumi, or Bayushi Onasugamiso? If you are speaking of the Scorpion... Her sting was directed at the Crane, because they showed weakness. By speaking for the Lion Clan, the Crane Clan opened itself up for an attack... and the Scorpion Clan will always attack when it can."

The elder ise zumi pauses at that, and considers.

"However, if you are speaking of Kakita Kyoumi... her words were far more dangerous, Yoritomo-sama. I suspect her heart and her mind were going in opposite directions, and so she was at war with herself. She all but implied that the Great Clans could rule the Emperor as being incapacitated, which is itself a dangerous thought. Furthermore... she spoke in defense of a man who declared himself Shogun. Do you think the Lion Clan were correct in bringing Akodo Kano forward like so? If the Emperor accepted him, he would be opening a door that could not be shut. What is next? The Crane Clan champion holding a tournament, and naming themselves the Emerald Champion?"

Togashi Gozato turns back to face Yoritomo Mei.

"And if he denied the request, the Emperor would be duty-bound to request the seppukku of Akodo Kano. Doing so would deny the armies of the Lion Clan, the Unicorn Clan, the Crab Clan, and the Mantis Clan the military leader they believe is most likely to deliver them to victory. In many ways, by bringing this forward, the Lion Clan have attacked the very authority of the Glorious Son of Heaven. If the Son of Heaven wanted to name Akodo Kano as his Shogun... why hasn't he?"
Togashi Gozato
Benten's Blessing

Yoritomo Mei

Postby Yoritomo Mei » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:59 pm

"I meant Kakita Kyoumi, Togashi-sensei! I understood that Bayushi Onasugamiso, as well as other in attendance, pointed out a defect in Kyoumi's speech and she couldn't defend herself when she had the chance. But I had not quite understood why what Kakita Kyoumi said would be a danger to the emperor. Or why did it seem that the Crane Clan was forcing an alliance between the Great Clans to rule the Emperor as being incapacitated. Perhaps it's my difficulty to understand the nuances of court speeches."

Mei continues following the ise zumi while they talk.

"I haven't yet had the opportunity to personally talk with the Lion Clan or Akodo Kano to understand their actions in court. Did he declare himself a shogun before this petition was made? Or the act of asking for something like that could already be a betrayal in itself? Now that you have explained to me better, it seems to me wrong to choose a shogun or an emerald champion without the endorsement of the emperor. When we agreed this petition, we believed that Akodo Kano would be asking the emperor to occupy a place that would be vacant, not taking someone's place or deciding for the emperor."

She stops, as the monk back to face her.

"The Mantis only wants to do its own thing, our ambitions are more internal. We only wish to fulfill our role by serving the emperor. And Lord Ichido really has a strategy that can aid the Empire in regaining Onyx Lands! It would be a pitty if he couldn't support the emperor with our forces at this time of greatest need, when all that he wants is to do it!"
Nativist Mantis • Merchant and Actress • Yoritomo Courtier • Dangerous Beauty • Hero of the people • Sensation

Togashi Gozato

Postby Togashi Gozato » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:43 pm

"I have lived long enough to know there is a great distance between what a Clan Champion wants of this world, and what a Clan Champion achieves in this world," offers Gozato quietly, lowering his head in humility. "It is the burden that all who live in this world must bear.

"I do believe that Akodo Kano may be the greatest strategic mind alive in our Empire, and may be key to the defeat of the Onyx Empire and the restoration of the blessing of the Celestial Heavens to the Emerald Empire again. However, to suggest him before the dais, to petition the Emperor to recognize him for holding a title which he has already laid claim, a title which cannot be inherited and only exists at the behest of the Emperor..."

Togashi Gozato shakes his head, and looks at Yoritomo Mei.

"As much as I dislike the man, Susumu Ketsueki whispered to me a truth I cannot deny. To have the Great Clans propose their own Shogun, a position who has the authority to rule in the Emperor's stead should he be incapacitated? It is nearly the Great Clans saying they should be able to choose to have a new Emperor."
Togashi Gozato
Benten's Blessing

Yoritomo Mei

Postby Yoritomo Mei » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:20 am

"Since we have touched on this subject, and with all due respect, Togashi-sensei, not wanting to be dishonored... and just taking into account the circumstance that it's just us both arguing here... It wouldn't be the decisions... Were not the actions at the beginning of this rule responsible for bringing the chaos in which we now find ourselves?" the girl asks a little uncertain about how her words would be received "By denying Kanpeki being his own clan's champion?" the girl had been learning new things during the court.

Togashi Gozato wrote: I have lived long enough to know there is a great distance between what a Clan Champion wants of this world, and what a Clan Champion achieves in this world," offers Gozato quietly, lowering his head in humility. "It is the burden that all who live in this world must bear.

"I believe I still need to gather enough experience to not blindly believe in certainties about reaching achievements, Togashi-sensei..." her gaze remains directed to the ground, a more saddened expression, at the moment "I remember when we talked about the duty of a samurai... I'm still learning many things! It is only a few years since Lord Ichido gathered the Mantis loyal to the empire... from this time, I changed from a lost child to an adult with hope at age 17" all right, she was not exactly an adult, but she felt exactly like that "And indeed the circumstances didn't allow me to learn the bushido deeply, though I am loyal in serving my Lord."

"Lord Ichido gave us hope and took the Mantis out of complete ruin when the only horizon we could glimpse was death and destruction. And we actually had reasons to believe that he would really win his achievements" she pauses, tears starting to fall from her eyes. This was inappropriate for a samurai and was a show of weakness. But she was a Mantis accustomed to acting freely, after all "But now I think... Now I have reasons to doubt him. I... I know I'm extremely wrong to think so." she puts her hand in her eyes to hide her tears "It's all so confusing... because yet Lord Ichido's loyalty to the emperor is unquestionable and he has proven himself a right leader, despite everything."
Last edited by Yoritomo Mei on Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Togashi Gozato

Postby Togashi Gozato » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:39 pm

Yoritomo Mei wrote:"By denying Kanpeki being his own clan's champion?"

"The treachery of the being who sits upon the Onyx Throne and the power that rest behind it was exposed on that very same day," offers Gozato simply. "Had Kanpeki been a true samurai, had he felt the shame that the Emperor placed upon him was too great to bear, he should have offered his own life to the Emperor in seppuku. That would have been the honorable choice. Instead, he spoke the truth of his father's lies, and exposed him and his followers as the serpents they had always been.

"Look upon those who are still the loyal Spider Clan for the truth of Bushido. A samurai serves their Lord, no matter what their lord commands. If they cannot serve in honorable success, they are duty bound to give their life in honorable protest."

"It's all so confusing... because yet Lord Ichido's loyalty to the emperor is unquestionable and he has proven himself a right leader, despite everything."

Mei's emotional state gets a lifted brow from the old ise zumi, but he glances around more to ensure they are in private. He reaches forward to place a reassuring hand on her shoulder and keeps his voice calm and soothing.

"It is the place of a samurai to serve," he offers plainly. "But it is the heart of the samurai to choose whether they can serve their Lord in life, or if they must serve their Lord in death. A Lord who asks a samurai to sacrifice their honor must know that such a servant may sacrifice their life instead."
Togashi Gozato
Benten's Blessing

Yoritomo Mei

Postby Yoritomo Mei » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:46 am

Togashi Gozato wrote:"It is the place of a samurai to serve," he offers plainly. "But it is the heart of the samurai to choose whether they can serve their Lord in life, or if they must serve their Lord in death. A Lord who asks a samurai to sacrifice their honor must know that such a servant may sacrifice their life instead."

Still trying to rub her tears, the girl responds "It's a bit confusing, Togashi-sensei! And it's also a long story... A long story you probably will not approve. I may have acted in an incredibly dishonored way without knowing about it all these years, since I was a child. And I see no way out or relief for my guilt. I would like to tell you everything at a more appropriate time. However, I need to learn more about it before judging my Lord. I also need to decide what actions I will take about it! Currently the only thing that I want is to fix everything!"

"Do you think there is salvation for those who acted extremely wrong? Because, despite everything, I still have hope. I owe much gratitude to my Lord and I would like to make him a worthy man of being followed! He welcomed me when I was a child and was always a model of strength that I wanted to be in the future! I wouldn't want to give up on him even if it seems impossible! I believe that even if everything is fallen around, if you persevere in your own path, surely will find what you are looking for!"
Last edited by Yoritomo Mei on Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Togashi Gozato

Postby Togashi Gozato » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:00 pm

Yoritomo Mei wrote:"Do you think there is salvation for those who acted extremely wrong? Because, despite everything, I still have hope. I owe much gratitude to my Lord and I would like to make him a worthy man of being followed! He welcomed me when I was a child and was always a model of strength that I wanted to be in the future! I wouldn't want to give up on him even if it seems impossible! I believe that even if everything is fallen around, if you persevere in your own path, surely will find what you are looking for!"

"Salvation lies in service to one's Lord and Clan," offers Gozato quietly. "And through this service, obedience to the Celestial Heavens. In one's time, life may hold any number of challenges. In some, one may rise as a hero. In others, one falls as a villain. Often, they are one and the same, and only depend on one's perspective. When we reach the end of our lives, we are judged not by what we did, but how we played our part in the tapestry of the world beyond us. It is how well we served that we are judged by in the Heavens."
Togashi Gozato
Benten's Blessing

Yoritomo Mei

Postby Yoritomo Mei » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:12 pm

Togashi Gozato wrote:"Salvation lies in service to one's Lord and Clan," offers Gozato quietly. "And through this service, obedience to the Celestial Heavens. In one's time, life may hold any number of challenges. In some, one may rise as a hero. In others, one falls as a villain. Often, they are one and the same, and only depend on one's perspective. When we reach the end of our lives, we are judged not by what we did, but how we played our part in the tapestry of the world beyond us. It is how well we served that we are judged by in the Heavens."

With such words, tears once again roll in her eyes, but there is a determined smile "Togashi-sensei, I will continue my own way, regardless of how I will be seen by it, even as a villain... I will keep my conscience clear that I am doing the right thing. If everything goes wrong, the most I can afford is with my own life. I'm not afraid to serve my Lord in death, if it will relieve his and my guilt before the heavens. Being a Mantis is not being afraid to face the storm."

"In a few days I think I've gathered enough information. I'll be in touch to schedule an appointment again."

Mei respectfully bows to Gozato "Thank you so much for your words Togashi-sensei!"

When there is opportunity, she continues her own way through the garden to her embassy.

/scene?

Return to “Gardens”