[Day 24 EE] Starting stratagems

The Children of the Ki-Rin have opted to spare their hosts too crowded a castle and have set a small camp of several yurts encircling Moto Chinua's personal Chomchog tent. On the day of their arrival, a servant of the Dragon lord gifts the Unicorn a pair of small statues. One is Bishamon, carved in wood. The other, Ebisu, forged in steel. Lord Chinua has left the pair on display in the heart of camp.
Yoritomo Mei

Re: [Day 24 EE] Starting stratagems

Postby Yoritomo Mei » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:22 pm

Soshi Kazusa wrote:"The Oni are extremely useful to Kanpeki-sama, Yoritomo-san. The majority are still loyal to their leader, only since the peace has lasted for so long, the feasting before your hungry bellies has begun to lose it's charm. They want blood again, such is the actions of Moto Daigoro, the leader of the Unquiet Moto. He seeks conflict again, the Obsidian Legions responded to suppress him."

Yoritomo Ichido wrote:...

She nods for Kazusa's response, but before responding she looks at Ichido to feel if she should answer what she had learned about that matter.

"So are General Moto Daigoro's forces weakened or eliminated?"
Nativist Mantis • Merchant and Actress • Yoritomo Courtier • Dangerous Beauty • Hero of the people • Sensation

Shiba Michio

Postby Shiba Michio » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:19 am

Soshi Kazusa wrote:"Not at this time, not during winter in any case. The Oni general's forces besiege the forest. One would have be of supreme skill to get in and out with messages setting up any sort of alliance."

Michio considers Soshi Kazusa at that statement. He does not smile. Quite.

"A question, Soshi-san. The Phoenix border will soon open as the ryu are released. We will move what forces we can to hold, but what forces will move against us? What forces will the Onyx move to try to reach the shore?"
Shiba Swordsman - Sensei of the Black Hand - Day 30: Obsidian Oracle - Bearer of the Obsidian Hand
"This is a start."

Wearing a band of old cloth (the sling of the yojimbo of the first lord of the Suzume) around his wrist.

Kaiu Oda

Postby Kaiu Oda » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:11 am

Soshi Kazusa wrote:...

Oda considers. "When the enemy possesses superior numbers it is generally preferable to have him waste them by forcing him to assault a fortified position. Would you happen to know which of these commanders could be goaded into launching unwise offensives?"
Crab Clan * The Iron Mask * Delegation Head * Veteran * Commander * Siege * No Left Eye * No Left Arm * Disturbing Countenance

-If the bird won't sing kill it.-

Utaku Yamada

Postby Utaku Yamada » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:35 am

Yamada nodded in agreement. "Sit on the mountain and let the tigers fight."
Utaku Yamada - Unicorn Clan - Shiotome - Rider of the Steppes - Delegation Head - Lost Love - Hero of the People - True Love
Married to Yasuki Nakura, Day 19
Widowed, Day 28

Soshi Kazusa

Postby Soshi Kazusa » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:16 pm

Yoritomo Mei wrote:"So are General Moto Daigoro's forces weakened or eliminated?"

"That remains to be seen. We will need scouts to learn of that, it is a recent development."

Shiba Michio wrote:"A question, Soshi-san. The Phoenix border will soon open as the ryu are released. We will move what forces we can to hold, but what forces will move against us? What forces will the Onyx move to try to reach the shore?"

"The Phoenix will face the same legions that besieged Toshi Ranbo. Though the general Okami is still missing, Daigotsu Jemaru has taken command after slaying the officer who took over when Okami vanished. His forces are hungry for Phoenix blood and will likely attack with unfettered aggression. This is an advantage, but know that many of the officers of that legion were trained by the former general and can show great guile."

Kaiu Oda wrote:Oda considers. "When the enemy possesses superior numbers it is generally preferable to have him waste them by forcing him to assault a fortified position. Would you happen to know which of these commanders could be goaded into launching unwise offensives?"

"Nearly of them can be goaded into an offensive. The location is of paramount importance however. Luring multiple forces of the enemy into a choke would be advantageous, as they may begin to fight one another for the honor of being first to face you. However", she says. "There is nothing to be gained from sitting back. It is my opinion that if hostilities resume in Spring, the only option is a sudden attack to take them off balance." She shakes her head. "That is why I propose that conflict does not begin immediately. It will take time to put everything in place, and winter will not have been kind to your soldiers at rest, not with the food shortages. Get your men rested and well, allow Kanpeki to subjugate his own generals for a time, allow my clan to act on the inside to harm any order he creates. When your forces have recovered their strength, when Zogeku has had time to supply and reinforce you, when Haihime-san has learned what role she is to play in this--that is when battle should resume."

"Between my clan and your scouts, you have the means to keep tabs on the enemy. With the Mantis and Zogeku forces clearing pirates from the Crane shores, you will be able to resupply your armies."

Utaku Yamada wrote:Yamada nodded in agreement. "Sit on the mountain and let the tigers fight."

"Though this is the general statement, it is only during the fight that this will matter", she says with caution. "The enemy can summon troops from the pit quickly, and any chuda on hand can call forth Oni forces to refill the ranks if desperate enough. This is not a conflict we can wait out. The winner of any power struggle between the enemy warlords will have gained, not lost."
Scorpion Clan • Loyal • Samurai • Delegation Head
"Some mourn loss, never realizing their dream yet lives. Others boast victory, unable to imagine their defeat. Both are fools. The game goes on."

Doji Arami

Postby Doji Arami » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:35 pm

The apparently-not-so-vile Scorpion is turning out to be pretty useful.
Imperial AgriculturistCrane Clan Logistician Courtier Fragrant and Resplendent Hero of the People

In darkness, flowers retain their fragrance.

Since Day 12, wears a necklace with an aquamarine engraved with the Crane mon.

Kaiu Oda

Postby Kaiu Oda » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:21 am

Oda's mouth twitches. "I would dearly love to unleash righteous fury upon the forces of Jigoku. But the stakes are too high and the margin of error too low to leave anything to chance. Your knowledge on this matter is clearly unrivaled, Soshi-sama. I am confident the leaders of my Clan will be inclined to heed your counsel on this."

He turns to the rest of the gathering. "When last we met the Mantis, Phoenix, and Spider expressed interest in joining an Alliance formed to oppose the forces of darkness. Given how effective coordination of our respective forces will be vital to any plan to free our homeland from this menace I believe such unity is needed now more than ever."

He produces three copies of a document and hands them to the representatives of each of those Clans.

"These contain the pertinent terms of that Alliance."

We the undersigned parties, as represented by our duly appointed delegates, do pledge ourselves to an Alliance for the Restoration of the Borders of the Empire. The primary purpose of this alliance will be the liberation of Rokugani territory from the forces of the traitor Daigotsu Kanpeki. This Restoration Alliance shall also consist of the following provisions:

1) Shogun Kano, representing the Lion, shall head a council of war consisting of a representative of each of the undersigned parties whose purpose shall be to oversee the coordination of the military forces of the undersigned parties.

2) Each of the undersigned parties shall retain ultimate control of their respective military forces.

3) Each of the undersigned parties will commit what forces they can to the formation of a new Imperial Legion under the direct command of Shogun Kano.

4) The Crane shall be the primary representatives of this alliance to the courts of the Empire.
Crab Clan * The Iron Mask * Delegation Head * Veteran * Commander * Siege * No Left Eye * No Left Arm * Disturbing Countenance

Daigotsu Yukari

Postby Daigotsu Yukari » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:29 am

Yukari looked it over.

"I see little to object to here, although the Spider's contributions are likely to be... constrained by circumstance. I will need to submit it to my Lord for approval."
Spider * Daigotsu Bushi * Honorary Rinjin
Wears a necklace with a pearl carved with a Spider mon.
"The Maw. Iuchiban. Kali-Ma. Fu Leng. We've killed them all. Forgive me if I'm not impressed by you."

Soul of Tonbo Taira/Isawa Taisho

Kaiu Oda

Postby Kaiu Oda » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:39 am

He nods. "It matters not how much we give, only that we each give all we can. In a conflict of this scale one grain of rice may tip the scale. One person may mean the difference between victory and defeat."

Yoritomo Mei

Postby Yoritomo Mei » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:54 am

Mei doesn't dare to answer for her Lord about the Alliance, once he was present. Instead, she offers more questions.

"Soshi-sama, you told us that the knowledge of each Clan on local terrain would be helpful, but it turns out that kanpeki's interference may have altered something that might be of interest to Mantis, besides clearing pirates from the Crane shores. Which forests has not yet been devastated within the Onyx Empire and how much are still accessible to the Great Clans?"

Soshi Kazusa wrote:"There is nothing to be gained from sitting back. It is my opinion that if hostilities resume in Spring, the only option is a sudden attack to take them off balance."

"I agree with that, Soshi-sama!" As long as the scorpion plays its part.

"I also agree about the conflict does not begin immediately, since we don't have enough numbers to compare. But Mantis knows the means to deal with the enemy saving as many men as possible, but for this, we would also need help in recognizing the terrain."
Nativist Mantis • Merchant and Actress • Yoritomo Courtier • Dangerous Beauty • Hero of the people • Sensation

Return to “Unicorn Clan Embassy”