[Day 5 LA] In search of many things (Open)

A small encampment unto itself; crates, barrels and wagons stack to form walls and a makeshift fort featuring wares and foodstuffs from all over the Empire… strangely from all over the Empire. Perhaps even beyond.
Daremo

Re: [Day 5 LA] In search of many things (Open)

Postby Daremo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:50 am

"Indeed. See these scratches here? For exactly that strength did the warrior who took this scale fail to pierce it. He had thought to make armor of it, for so hard it was to cut that it would make a warrior nearly immortal. Alas, he failed to puncture the scale, and so sold it to an artisan for its weight in gold. Here, feel how heavy it is and know its worth."

He flips the scale over and holds it out for Janisha to lift. On the back, the scale is milky white, a distinctly different material than the front, but has a harness of silk ties protruding from it.

"The artisan was more clever than the warrior. Since he could not pierce the material, he fired hard clay onto the back of it, and thus made armor of it. It is unlikely that the ceramic will hold up to more than one or two blows, but those first strikes will not pass. Especially useful for someone struck by surprise. A fine gift for such dangerous friends. A show of trust. You give them this, and they will know that you give them life. It is thin enough that it can be worn under a kimono without alerting guards, yet it will not fail to protect its charge. The Spider, or the Scorpion. Whichever you give this too, it guarantees their survival from a surprise attack. And thus you win their ear. Alas, I have but one of these, so you must choose wisely."
Suspiciously Well-Supplied

“This is impossible to find at this price! But for you, my friend, I am willing to take a loss.”

Run by GM Ebisu

Moshi Janisha

Postby Moshi Janisha » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:50 am

She looks over it appraisingly, unable to find any proof to the contrary that he is lying to her, Definitely a gift for the Susumu more then the Bayushi. Far to practical to be acceptable for her. It may even be a risk giving it to him.

Still she had her three items, so time to hear the bad news that was sure to follow, "Such wonders you have shown me today, Humble Merchant. Before one gives into barter, do you have a price for such rare things?"

Hopefully her secret would be enough. She would be hard pressed to produce anything else that even approached the value of a Red Hunger Scale.

Worst case, take the Kimono and the statue. Those you need.
•Colonial Mantis • Disturbing Countenance (unhealthy pale skin) • Gaijin Name •
As of day 29, her skin colour is now pale, like she has never seen a day of sunlight, with a slightly unhealthy pallor to it
Description

Daremo

Postby Daremo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:47 am

He shrugs, sweeping a hand over the kimono and the pendant.

"These simple things are a trifle, easy enough to come by. I have stocked many thick kimono for the season, and the Jade Dragon is a popular subject. A single koku will buy each. The scale is something a bit... rarer. I cannot put a price in coin to something so magnificent."

“This is impossible to find at this price! But for you, my friend, I am willing to take a loss.”

Run by GM Ebisu

Moshi Janisha

Postby Moshi Janisha » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:21 pm

She paused in thought, looking at the scale, "I have a few things I can offer you humble merchant, although I suspect none truly match the value of the scale." She paused.

"I possibly have two something of interest though to one who travels and trades as far and wide as you," Considering her position, she corrected herself, "Maybe 3 would be better. The scale is truly a beauty, and will last for quite some time, where as what I offer is less permanent

Information
Tea
And maybe, some art."

She didn't like this. But she had no desire to trade anything that wasn't hers to trade. The resources of Zogeku were for all of her delegation.
As of day 29, her skin colour is now pale, like she has never seen a day of sunlight, with a slightly unhealthy pallor to it
Description

Daremo

Postby Daremo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:04 pm

"This one is admittedly curious. You clearly recognize the value of the thing before you... Tea, art, and information... somehow this is to equal the price of such a rarity? I wish to know more, if you would be so kind."

Run by GM Ebisu

Moshi Janisha

Postby Moshi Janisha » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:06 am

"Not equal... It is truly hard to equal such a one of a kind item, without a likewise one of a kind item. And I find myself in short supply of such things. These are simple rarities, things that most Rokugani would not have access too, and thus hopefully increase their value to something worth your time."

She paused to make sure that the Crab had left the shop before she continued, "The Tea from the Crab in the Wall above the Ocean is some of the finest in all the lands. While the environment is a part of this, the wisdom of the samurai and heimin who grow and harvest the tea play no small part in this.
Sadly, the mountains are currently under the occupation of the Onyx. Given the state of the Kuni wastes, there is some question if a single drinkable tea ever grows their again. However..." She checks again, no need to bring such a thing up around the crab.

Benika’s Tears was a provence taken by the Crab in Zogeku, and after its capture by the Mantis, we made certain that the Tea growers were left alone to preform their traditional trades. The results, known as Crystal Tea due to the bizarre Crystals that are within sight of the Tea farms, shows that the greatest tea in the Empire isn't entirely lost to us forever.

I may happen to have some of that tea to trade."

The risky discussion over she moves one, "I am also a painter trained in both Rokugani and Ivindi styles...while I find it unlikely such humble offerings truly interest you, but it is worth a try."

Finally the information, "With the Ki-rin way closed to all by the Unicorn, and the Sea of Shadows likewise locked down by the Onyx, a merchant such as yourself must use quite a bit of ingenuity to get what you are selling."

More then likely less then legal ingenuity, but ingenuity none the less.

"What if I told you that another route to the land of Zogeku existed? Its not an easy one...and depending on how the war goes, and how talks with other clans go, it may not be needed...

But would such a thing interest you?"
Description

Daremo

Postby Daremo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:31 am

The unmistakable light of avarice bursts behind the eyes of the merchant.

"Ah, your offer is tempting indeed! Tell me this route, give me your tea, and I think that we have a deal, yes? As for the painting, I cannot make use of this, unfortunately. While within the village, I do not trade in paintings, as that is Otaru's domain. But still, I think I can afford to part with this trifle for the aforementioned information."

Run by GM Ebisu

Moshi Janisha

Postby Moshi Janisha » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:24 am

As soon as the greed entered his eyes at the mention of the new route, Janisha thought only one thing,
Damn.

The route would have been good enough on its own, it seemed. And now she would have to give up the most valuable tea she had to gift with. If she was a Yoritomo, she possibly could have started to bargin, made a deal, push his price down to just the route. But not only did she lack the skill, were she caught doing that, it would just confirm for all the court that she was nothing but a gaijin who had no honour.

However a promise was a promise, "I shall return tomorrow with the tea, noble merchant. As for the route... I know only part of the way. However I expect you know the rest, or can find those who do. To the North of most of Zogeku is the Great Void. It is an unpleasant place to wander, lacking even the vague landmarks of the Plains of Glass and the Burning Sands, but assuming you have food and water, it is crossable.

Before the fall of the Ivory Kingdoms it was the path Ivindi merchants to to the Jewel of the Desert. When the Mantis first laid eyes upon it, we first thought it was completely impassable, regardless of what the Unicorn and the native Ivindi said. If anyone could cross it, they were killed by those who destroyed the Ivory Kingdoms. However...the Ra'shari wanders came out of the void one year, ready to trade. The flow of trade is still small. Few Ivindi desire to leave the safety of the cities yet, and the merchants of the Jewel of the Desert have yet to make the trek in large numbers.

But given the scarcity of Kave in Rokugan, and Soy in Zogeku..." She trails off, knowing to speak more is dishonour, "I can get you a rough map from Second City to a little way into The Great Void, including a route up the cliffs of Doji. For the rest, you will need a Ra'shari. Is this acceptable?"
Description

Daremo

Postby Daremo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:27 am

"It is indeed, Samurai-sama. I will gladly accept," Daremo says, grinning. He proffers the scale, and bows deeply.

Run by GM Ebisu

Moshi Janisha

Postby Moshi Janisha » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:54 am

Bowing in return, and taking the scale, the Kimono and the Dragon, said, "Thank you humble merchant. You have done me a great favour on this day."

She leaves the two Koku she owed him for her other goods and made move to leave.

((OOC: I am assuming I do not have to RP getting a reasonably easy [at least for a Colonial Mantis] to acquire map of the northern parts of Zogeku or to bring it and the tea back tomorrow?
And thus /scene end unless the Crab is waiting outside for me.))
Description

Return to “Ibano's Treasures”