[Day 7 - Early Morning] Tome Hunt

A small encampment unto itself; crates, barrels and wagons stack to form walls and a makeshift fort featuring wares and foodstuffs from all over the Empire… strangely from all over the Empire. Perhaps even beyond.
Daremo

Re: [Day 7 - Early Morning] Tome Hunt

Postby Daremo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:43 am

"The official text and writings of the monks who swear themselves to Konohama's service. Much of it is scripture, to be sure, but the care and cultivation of flowers in the harshest of environments is no task for novice gardeners. The same principles can be applied to crops, I would think, and this copy is heavily annotated by a master of that order."
Suspiciously Well-Supplied

“This is impossible to find at this price! But for you, my friend, I am willing to take a loss.”

Run by GM Ebisu

Doji Arami

Postby Doji Arami » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:52 am

Arami's player researches who Konohama is, and so Arami is properly impressed that the labors of those who follow the Fortune of Flowers have reached the Doji, now when the Empire has need of them the most. Looking at the pressed flowers on the scroll case, he muses.

Should I tell him and drive up the price? Or count on his honor to not deprive the people a chance at hope?

"This... would go much to help our efforts at mitigating the effects of the famine. The Crane are conducting an experiment to demonstrate how to grow vegetables while maintaing their purity. These seeds and these writings - they could buy time for the priests to develop a cure, and thus perhaps a chance to survive the darkness."

They surprise you, these people. They are often more than they seem.

A silence long enough to let these truths settle in.

"What would you ask for them, Daremo?"
Imperial AgriculturistCrane Clan Logistician Courtier Fragrant and Resplendent Hero of the People

In darkness, flowers retain their fragrance.

Since Day 12, wears a necklace with an aquamarine engraved with the Crane mon.

Daremo

Postby Daremo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:34 pm

Daremo nods enthusiastically with the Crane's speech, but gives a low whistle.

"These things... they are very rare. Even in the best of years, they would not come cheaply. But now?"

His eyes seem torn between avarice and worry.

"Have you, perhaps, considered the methods of payment I spoke of last?"

“This is impossible to find at this price! But for you, my friend, I am willing to take a loss.”

Run by GM Ebisu

Doji Arami

Postby Doji Arami » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:33 pm

(placeholder as Arami's player furiously tries to come up with a fantastic item, Fortunes help him)
Imperial AgriculturistCrane Clan Logistician Courtier Fragrant and Resplendent Hero of the People

Doji Arami

Postby Doji Arami » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:49 am

"I have." At the prompt, Arami presents the artfully folded piece of paper to the merchant, his movements slow to heigthen the dignity of the offering.

"Doji Nio, the founder of my family, was a man of many talents. His insights into court life are well known, and the refinements to the tea ceremony remain as lasting testaments to his dedication to his mother. What is less well-known is the treatise he wrote on economics - a masterpiece on markets, supply and demand, pricing and the transport of goods. The final copy of course was never found (or was it?), but his notes survive.

Here is one of three remaining sheets of his insights. It is a piece of a larger concept, a preliminary discussion on how scarcity of products can be manipulated through the availability of horseshoes, but a precious heirloom nonetheless. Shall this suffice?"
Last edited by Doji Arami on Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Daremo

Postby Daremo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:34 am

Daremo's eyes light up with a potent combination of greed and wonder. He carefully takes the paper, gently setting it on a smooth wooden table and opening it with great caution. What he reads inside evidently pleases him, for he looks up, smiling his hawker's smile, and nods enthusiastically. "Ah, Samurai-sama, you truly know the way to this humble merchant's heart. Take the seeds and the scroll, with my compliments."

Run by GM Ebisu

Doji Arami

Postby Doji Arami » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:20 am

Arami accepts the seeds and the scroll, the weight of their significance grossly disproportionate to how light they feel in his hands. "Thank you as well, Daremo. You part in this shall be remembered."

He is eager to put these tools to use, almost ready to go, but he looks at the merchant and sees not just the goods he provides, but the living, breathing person he is. There is always time for one more kindness.

"Midori says that you give her seeds for the bark she collects in the gardens. We samurai turn to you to sate our need for wonder. All of us, we come to Daremo with the desires of our hearts laid bare. This knowledge is a trust, one that I am confident you are worthy to bear. Should you come to know of any danger or suspicion of any kind, please do not hesitate to let me know through the servants at the embassy. Doji Arami is a friend to this village."

An easy smile, for it is a sincere one.

Daremo

Postby Daremo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:27 am

Daremo gives his deep, sweeping bow, expressing his gratitude in the most theatrical way he can. "You do me too much honor, Samurai-sama. I am but a humble purveyor of goods. If anything, it is those who find my rarities that deserve the praise. I simply carry them for a while until they find who they were meant for."

Run by GM Ebisu

Doji Arami

Postby Doji Arami » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:39 am

A smirk. My courtesies just bounce off this one. How entertaining!

"Then I shall do my best to earn this praise, and enable the destinies of the wonders you have brought to us. Until the next time, Daremo."

/exit

Daremo

Postby Daremo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:32 am

"Until then, Samurai-sama."

/scene

Run by GM Ebisu

Return to “Ibano's Treasures”