[Day 0, Early Morning] Waito Always Delivers (Open)

A small encampment unto itself; crates, barrels and wagons stack to form walls and a makeshift fort featuring wares and foodstuffs from all over the Empire… strangely from all over the Empire. Perhaps even beyond.
Yoritomo Waito

[Day 0, Early Morning] Waito Always Delivers (Open)

Postby Yoritomo Waito » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:20 am

The merchant placed the coins in the samurai's hand, but to his dismay, the Mantis only smiled and held his hand out for more. The merchant's own expression remained fixed, save perhaps for a slight widening of his eyes.

"Yes," the samurai said, nodding, "the amount you gave me is a fair one, taking into account the distance my men and I have had to travel over open waters, braving the beasts of the depths and all manner of pirates. Anywhere else, I would gladly take this much coin."

With a gesture, the samurai directed the merchant's gaze beyond the cluttered boxes that made up his shop, to the wider village, and the mountains visible beyond. "But have you seen where we are? Not just difficult to get a ship up here, but impossible. It's a hard march to get to the gates of these lands, and I'd hardly say that the roads in these times are much safer than the seas."

The Mantis wasn't smiling as he turned back to the merchant, his arms motioning to the two men that had helped stack the delivery. "My lads here went through a lot to get this to you. To you, personally. There are plenty of miscreants and monsters out there who'd happily have killed them for what we've brought to you. Yet they risked their lives, isn't that right lads?"

Non-committal grunts from the other two, but the speaker stooped closer to the merchant as he continued. "It's only fair that they be compensated, wouldn't you say? And it's not as if you can't increase your own prices in turn, is it? Really, I'm doing you a favour here. Think of the extra custom you'll be getting when everyone hears that you've got stock personally delivered by Yoritomo Waito, Admiral of the New Storm!"

With a more reassuring smile for the merchant, Waito held his hand out once again.
Midori

Monk • Experienced Yoritomo Waito

As of Day 21, not Waito

The merchant placed the coins in the monk's hand, and to his delight, the man only smiled and handed out more.

Final day

Tsuruchi Mao

Re: [Day 0, Early Morning] Waito Always Delivers (Open)

Postby Tsuruchi Mao » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:46 pm

Tsuruchi Mao hated idleness. Every morning she woke quickly--and early--and had an even quicker breakfast. She shouldered her bow and quiver, and her daisho as an afterthought, and set off on her morning walk. The businesses in town held no interest for her, until she spotted Ibano's. She had few enough koku to spare, and little desire to spend frivolously, but she occasionally indulged in curiosity and thought to find some useful scrolls. She entered.

The Admiral was impossible to mistake, as was his handiwork. Mao watched him with a wry turn of her mouth, but did not interrupt. She perused the shop's wares, wondering how much of it the Mantis provided, and only greeted Waito when he had finished his business.

"Yoritomo Waito-sama, have you had your rice?"

She normally spoke slowly and surely, but her words to the Admiral were a little easier as she gave her clumsy greeting.
Nativist Mantis * Natural Ascetic

"Why can't I make arrows from this bamboo? Why else is it planted here?"

As of Day 13, carries a strip of black cloth in her obi upon which is stitched a kingfisher in blue and orange.

Yoritomo Waito

Postby Yoritomo Waito » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:01 pm

"Ah, Mao-san!" Waito says, turning allowing his associates to complete the unpacking unsupervised. "No, no rice yet, far too busy! I hope that you were more foresighted than me in that regard, eh? Always prepared."

Absently hand-counting his coin as he stashes it away, he gives the Tsuruchi more of his attention. "Can you believe what passes for 'exotic goods' here? Look at this stuff! Ha.

"You've settled in well? Prepared for what lies ahead of us?"
Midori

As of Day 21, not Waito

The merchant placed the coins in the monk's hand, and to his delight, the man only smiled and handed out more.

Final day

Tsuruchi Mao

Postby Tsuruchi Mao » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:17 pm

Mao spared a brief but genuine smile. "As you say, I am always prepared."

She looked over the contents of the shop once more, thinking that everything truly did seem exotic to her, but did not care to gainsay the Yoritomo.

"I had hoped to find information on the slaying of oni, or perhaps etiquette. Something courtly, given the circumstances. I don't suppose you brought in anything like that?"

Her gaze returned to her superior. "Or perhaps you have some task for me, sama? More cargo to unload? I am out on my walk, I could use the exercise."

As of Day 13, carries a strip of black cloth in her obi upon which is stitched a kingfisher in blue and orange.

Yoritomo Waito

Postby Yoritomo Waito » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:29 pm

"The oni-slaying, no, not so much, unless perhaps the merchant here already has something in stock? As to courtly etiquette, some of these items are of Crane origin, so there may be something to learn from them." Waito sniffs. "If you're really interested in that. The latest fashions, I hear," he continues, picking up a kimono from atop the nearest crate.

"There are still a few more boxes to come, but you really shouldn't worry yourself with that, my dear! I have people for that. You're here representing the Mantis Clan! We're here to be seen, but not to be seen as something lowly! I hope you don't think you were only sent here to fetch and carry!" he laughs. "You have so much more to offer than that."
Midori

As of Day 21, not Waito

Final day

Tsuruchi Mao

Postby Tsuruchi Mao » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:01 pm

Mao arched a decidedly dismissive brow at the kimono.

"I do wonder why I am here," she said. "I'm not a courtier. I am not well-spoken. I am a hunter. I follow tracks and I pick suitable targets. The only I answer I have for my presence is that my perspective is desired. Or, I am to hunt something. Am I correct?"

Yoritomo Waito

Postby Yoritomo Waito » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:12 pm

"We are Mantis, my dear! Nobody among those other Clans would ever admit to us being well-spoken! But there's one thing I've managed to pick up about courts: they're just as cut-throat as any battlefield. So yes, I imagine you are here for your perspective. Your keen eye will spot things the rest of us will miss, and here we cannot afford to let anything slip past us."

Waito lowers his voice. "Worse comes to worst, you may have to hunt someone as well, I guess."
Midori

As of Day 21, not Waito

Final day

Tsuruchi Mao

Postby Tsuruchi Mao » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:51 pm

Mao only nodded. "Then I shall keep my eyes open. I will be prepared, Yoritomo-sama."

Yoritomo Waito

Postby Yoritomo Waito » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:04 pm

"Excellent! And no need to look so serious about it, either. Enjoy this day before court as much as you can. I intend to."
Midori

As of Day 21, not Waito

Final day

Tsuruchi Mao

Postby Tsuruchi Mao » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:11 pm

Mao put on a wry smile and leaned to one side. "What is this enjoyment you speak of? It sounds like an extravagance."

Return to “Ibano's Treasures”