[Day 0, Late Morning, Open] Back in Business

A small encampment unto itself; crates, barrels and wagons stack to form walls and a makeshift fort featuring wares and foodstuffs from all over the Empire… strangely from all over the Empire. Perhaps even beyond.
User avatar
Daremo
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:24 am

Re: [Day 0, Late Morning, Open] Back in Business

Postby Daremo » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:26 am

"A pleasure, a pleasure, Samurai-sama. You will not be disappointed in the brew."

The coin swiftly disappears into a pouch, the modest clink indicating that the pouch was all but empty prior to the purchase. A ledger is whipped off a shelf along with a brush, and within moments the transaction is recorded to Daremo's satisfaction. A sprinkle of sand to dry the ink later, and the ledger is returned to its rightful place.

"Is there anything else I can help you find this morning? A gift, perhaps, for the opening festivities?"
Suspiciously Well-Supplied

“This is impossible to find at this price! But for you, my friend, I am willing to take a loss.”

Run by GM Ebisu

User avatar
Susumu Ketsueki
Posts: 1473
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:41 am

Re: [Day 0, Late Morning, Open] Back in Business

Postby Susumu Ketsueki » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:33 am

He considers for a while.

"Tell me merchant, what do you have that would interest an archer of the Tsuruchi? I have a friend in the area and would enjoy treating them to something fascinating. What could you have for one such as I?"
Obsidian Magistrate |High Priest of the Blood | Hunter of Lords | Voice of the Hantei

What games we mortals play, I think I will make my moves.

User avatar
Daremo
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:24 am

Re: [Day 0, Late Morning, Open] Back in Business

Postby Daremo » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:44 am

Daremo taps the pen against his upper lip thoughtfully, and glances about his business.

"A Tsuruchi, eh? Hmmm. String wax, perhaps, or wood polish... If memory serves, the Tsuruchi can be quite practical. Of course, maybe practical isn't quite what you are looking for. I have a set of whistling bulbs, crafted by prayers to the kami, rather than carved. When fired from a strong bow, each will sing a different birdsong. Or maybe a pop-up shelter, for those cold nights while on the trail of a lawbreaker? Fire-stones! When smashed, they instantly catch flame like an Isawa's prayer, no need for flint and steel."

A glint pops up behind his eyes.

"Of course, if the price is right, I might be able to dig up something truly remarkable..."
Suspiciously Well-Supplied

“This is impossible to find at this price! But for you, my friend, I am willing to take a loss.”

Run by GM Ebisu

User avatar
Susumu Ketsueki
Posts: 1473
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:41 am

Re: [Day 0, Late Morning, Open] Back in Business

Postby Susumu Ketsueki » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:46 am

"The fire bulbs sound nice but if you can impress me further..."

*The sound of coins rustling in a money bag Ketsueki carries fills the air*

"I would be interested in seeing it."
Obsidian Magistrate |High Priest of the Blood | Hunter of Lords | Voice of the Hantei

What games we mortals play, I think I will make my moves.

User avatar
Daremo
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:24 am

Re: [Day 0, Late Morning, Open] Back in Business

Postby Daremo » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:07 am

At the sound of coins, the merchant's eyes come alive, the glint becoming the unmistakable glow of avarice. Whatever this man's skill in acquiring the rare and unusual, subterfuge is apparently not among his talents.

"A moment, my friend. A thought occurs, and I may have just what you are looking for."

He turns, pulling a key from around his neck to unlock the caravan. He vanishes inside, where the sounds of rustling fabric and clacking wood can be heard, only to emerge mere moments later. He carries with him a thin leather and cloth bag, dyed a fantastic forest green and inlaid with a pattern of intermittent scales and swirling lines. He holds it coddled in his arms, reverently, as though it were a child.

"This, Samurai-sama, is a Naga quiver. It was traded to me by an explorer down on his luck. He had no prospects at home, so decided to try to make a name for himself by mapping the Shinomen Mori in the service of the Miya. While he was no skilled cartographer, he was among those who came across a forgotten outpost in those woods, and beheld such treasures as the modern Samurai have never seen. For his trouble, I decided that I would buy any more such finds from him, but he never returned from his next expedition. This was used by creatures who invented archery before the original Kami were ever devoured by their father. It is a piece of history, and since its discoverer was lost, we poor mortals may never see its like again."
Suspiciously Well-Supplied

“This is impossible to find at this price! But for you, my friend, I am willing to take a loss.”

Run by GM Ebisu

User avatar
Susumu Ketsueki
Posts: 1473
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:41 am

Re: [Day 0, Late Morning, Open] Back in Business

Postby Susumu Ketsueki » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:53 pm

"Interesting... what will you be charging for this piece?"

Ketsueki inquires, knowing the full weight of this merchant's greed will be collapsing on him in mere moments.
Obsidian Magistrate |High Priest of the Blood | Hunter of Lords | Voice of the Hantei

What games we mortals play, I think I will make my moves.

User avatar
Daremo
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:24 am

Re: [Day 0, Late Morning, Open] Back in Business

Postby Daremo » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:28 pm

"It is a hard thing you ask, to put a price to the priceless. After all, such a treasure would be a wonderful addition to any Lord's collection, or serve an archer faithfully for so long as their line persists. Even more valuable than the quiver itself is the sheer weight of history that it bears. Were it a book, I have no doubt it would tell more stories than even the most studious of monks could read in ten lifetimes."

He takes a moment from his salesmanship to give a knowing wink.

"And of course the political capital one might gain by offering such a gift might win cannot be underestimated. I have seen samurai offer hundreds of koku for similarly ancient articles. But with the cost of food being what it is... I find it only fair to mention that I accept barter as well. It is less a question of price and more of what you are willing to offer for such a thing."
Suspiciously Well-Supplied

“This is impossible to find at this price! But for you, my friend, I am willing to take a loss.”

Run by GM Ebisu

User avatar
Susumu Ketsueki
Posts: 1473
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:41 am

Re: [Day 0, Late Morning, Open] Back in Business

Postby Susumu Ketsueki » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:36 pm

"I see, how interesting. Barter, what a thought. Now prey tell, what would a simple merchant desire from a simple man such as me. While right now I appear a mere ronin, I have a number of contacts across the land as well."

Ketseuki gives an open palmed gesture to the merchant.

"What are you looking for in particular?"

Lets test the waters for this merchant, see how ambitious he is.
Obsidian Magistrate |High Priest of the Blood | Hunter of Lords | Voice of the Hantei

What games we mortals play, I think I will make my moves.

User avatar
Daremo
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:24 am

Re: [Day 0, Late Morning, Open] Back in Business

Postby Daremo » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:01 pm

"Honorable Samurai-sama, I have often found it is the simple people who most often have the most interesting things to give. A farmer-turned-cartographer sold me this. I have a stone from Shinsei's Last Hope that a Monk traded for a better pair of shoes for the long road. There is a jewel that I found in a particular village that grew from the living rock where an Emperor once camped while searching for enlightenment."

He spreads his hand magnanimously.

"There is many a lord with more coin than sense, with no idea of the value of what they hold. It is most often that my treasures come from the bold rather than the rich. To the rich they go, yes, but they come from honest labor and ancient tales told by peasants. You strike me as bold rather than rich, Samurai-sama, so I ask. Unless, of course, a humble Ronin has hundreds of koku to spend on a gift? I have been surprised before."
Suspiciously Well-Supplied

“This is impossible to find at this price! But for you, my friend, I am willing to take a loss.”

Run by GM Ebisu

User avatar
Susumu Ketsueki
Posts: 1473
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:41 am

Re: [Day 0, Late Morning, Open] Back in Business

Postby Susumu Ketsueki » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:31 pm

He walks around the merchant, studying him carefully.

Hmmph, hundreds of Koku mean nothing to the equiry of an Emperor, what a petty man... I COULD surprise him well enough and offer to buy the whole cart.

But the Spider puts such thoughts from his head. No, he had a better idea.

"The roads have become quite dangerous my friend, each day the shadow in the west grows heavier and heavier. How far do you recon you will go until the Obsidian raiders find you. They are slowly haunting more and more roads and travel ways across the empire, stopping and seizing wears they find... unpleasant to their kind. I know I have been searched and delayed by these brutish thugs in the past, yet I still live, unafraid of them on my travels.

Why, You might ask? Because I have been able to acquire this!"

Ketseuki pulls forth a seeming simple gold coin, upon it sits the Spider Clan Mon, upon the back the chop of a strange mon the merchant probably has not seen before, unless there is more to this merchant then expected.

"This is a simple trinket that, while small, carries with it high authority among the servants of that hungry realm. Those that bear these are seen as protected by the Spider Masters and given safe passage without harm, no questions asked."

He spins the coin up in the air, catching it before continuing.

"It has saved me a lot of trouble from gangs of bandits and raiders while traveling along the boarder of the contested Crane lands. But after this winter my feet turn me towards the east and I hope that I will not need to use such a devise again. To a traveling merchant like yourself, such a trinket and the protection it provides to your future travels should be more then enough for a quiver hanging unused on your wall. Here, examine it yourself! Don't worry, its not tainted, I had a priest ensure that to me."

He tosses the coin at the merchant softly, that he might examine the prospective goldmine.
Obsidian Magistrate |High Priest of the Blood | Hunter of Lords | Voice of the Hantei

What games we mortals play, I think I will make my moves.


Return to “Ibano's Treasures”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest