[Day 29 LE] - That One Last Thing

The Mantis loyal to the Emperor occupy the southwest tower of the castle, just beyond the final gate. It overlooks the snowed-in mountain pass. Left upon a pillow in the common room is a single koku. Its markings indicate it was minted by the Mantis Clan and stamped with the year 1133.
Shiba Michio

Re: [Day 29 LE] - That One Last Thing

Postby Shiba Michio » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:06 pm

"Let us start at the beginning then."

Michio refolds his hands into the tai'ji. "Jade Sun and Obsidian Moon are neither greater nor lesser than one another. They exist as balance, as the earth and the sea. One may seem stronger than another for a time but both must exist or the world is changed forever. Between them lies the Way of Man, the way that is both of Heaven and of Earth."

He opens his ash-stained hands wide.

"Much of the rest, the myriad of things you struggle with, stems from this challenge. You have sought to balance the myriad one at a time, rather than seeking their root. This is the way of Bayushi, to deal with what is known, to take the myriad and make it somehow spin to where he wishes it to go. It is a practical way from moment to moment. The Way is different."

"You would wrench the Princesse's destiny aside, treating her as a child, when she has claimed the right to be samurai and passed her genpukku. This is to place yourself above her, to be the first.
You took on service to the Dark Fortune without understanding. This is to do what can be done, not what needs to be done.
Your compassion is commendable but it misleads you. Why do you have more of it for those who have accepted their sacrifice than for those who were sacrificed for?"

He folds his hands once more.

"The greatest mistake all of us made, not just the Isawa or the Scorpion, was to assume that we, alone, held the keys to this war. This entire Court we have tried to set that sin aside, to trust our fellow samurai in their service, to believe that others could be heroes as well. Just tonight you have heard glad tidings, that the Heavens are listening and ready to act."

His voice becomes quite mild.

"Or do you think that Lord Moon has called for the Sensei of the Black Hand to open a dojo in the Heavens?"
Shiba Swordsman - Sensei of the Black Hand - Day 30: Obsidian Oracle - Bearer of the Obsidian Hand
"This is a start."

Wearing a band of old cloth (the sling of the yojimbo of the first lord of the Suzume) around his wrist.

Moshi Janisha

Re: [Day 29 LE] - That One Last Thing

Postby Moshi Janisha » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:59 am

Shiba Michio wrote:"Let us start at the beginning then."

Michio refolds his hands into the tai'ji. "Jade Sun and Obsidian Moon are neither greater nor lesser than one another. They exist as balance, as the earth and the sea. One may seem stronger than another for a time but both must exist or the world is changed forever. Between them lies the Way of Man, the way that is both of Heaven and of Earth."

"You confuse the Jade Sun and Obsidian Moon with Lady Sun and Lord Moon, Shiba-san, or seem to think I do. The Jade and Obsidian Dragons are one and the same. Same soul, same existence in the Celestial Order, they are represented by only one Dragon on the temple of eight Dragons. That they are two dragons physically, simply reflects that they are two sides of the same coin."

"The same was not true of Onnotangu-no-Fortune and Amaterasu-no-Fortune. Lord Moon carried a Katana...he duelled Hitomi-no-fortune, and had for some reason he had to kill himself, he would have committed Seppuku. He was a Samurai. Lady Sun carried no such Katana or Wakizashi. She commited Jigai. No one could challenge her to a duel, for she was not Samurai-ko. She had either retired, or more likely never been Samurai ever, choosing children over the blade."

"Much of the rest, the myriad of things you struggle with, stems from this challenge. You have sought to balance the myriad one at a time, rather than seeking their root. This is the way of Bayushi, to deal with what is known, to take the myriad and make it somehow spin to where he wishes it to go. It is a practical way from moment to moment. The Way is different."

"You would wrench the Princesse's destiny aside, treating her as a child, when she has claimed the right to be samurai and passed her genpukku. This is to place yourself above her, to be the first.[/quote]

"I do not seek to wrench it aside...I have informed the Emerald Spider what has happened. I have not revealed my duty to protect her... but she is an Order of the Spider Monk. She is a Paragon of Shourido...the idea that she could possibly need protection is the highest form of insult to her. If I am open and honest to her....I will fail in my duty for she will either attack me herself for my presumption, or discard me, as something useless and stupid, completely lacking any understanding of her."

"You took on service to the Dark Fortune without understanding. This is to do what can be done, not what needs to be done."

"And the alternative is no one in Zogeku would seek to praise the them. I had no one to teach me. The Order of the Spider was gone, and they took most of their scrolls with them. The Temple was mostly empty and those who were there were maintaining the shrine, not offering up praise."

"I am trying to learn...I need to learn....I do understand that. I need to understand to do my duty properly. But are you suggesting that if all the Empire stopped praising Fukurokujin-no-Fortune because all knowledge of how to do so was lost, that we would not be cursed? Zogeku is not some small area...we are talking about something half the size of Rokugan, with a population comparable to any Two Great Clans, ignoring 5 Fortunes...utterly. We are talking about what is likely the second largest temples to the Dark Fortunes falling silent. Someone had to act."

"Your compassion is commendable but it misleads you. Why do you have more of it for those who have accepted their sacrifice than for those who were sacrificed for?"

Janisha is confused, "What do you mean, Shiba-san? I don't understand how you reach that conclusion. I have learned this court I have a habbit of taking on more to avoid burdening others, to sacrifice myself for the sake of others. To hide when I should reach out....but that would imply to me the reverse. That I have more compassion for those who were sacrificed for, then those who have accepted their sacrifice...for I seek to deny their right to do so, and take their burdens on my shoulders."

"The greatest mistake all of us made, not just the Isawa or the Scorpion, was to assume that we, alone, held the keys to this war. This entire Court we have tried to set that sin aside, to trust our fellow samurai in their service, to believe that others could be heroes as well. Just tonight you have heard glad tidings, that the Heavens are listening and ready to act."

His voice becomes quite mild.

"Or do you think that Lord Moon has called for the Sensei of the Black Hand to open a dojo in the Heavens?"

Janisha shook her head, "I do not believe I am a key to victory Shiba-san... as I said before, when we last talked, I believe this is a time for Thunders....and I am certainly not a thunder. I do believe however that the Princess of Ashes is. I am a piece of the puzzle...one whose duty may cost her, her soul....a high price to pay. But I have ever been willing to pay it."

"For every general this court has agreed...if we just fight directly...we will fail. The Onyx outnumber us, and every one of us that falls is just another troop for us. The Scorpion's plan has been to have a Fortune appeal to heaven....firstly the spirit from Zogeku, but now they seek to go through Shahai...."

"Only the plan with the Seals has the focus and clarity I would like. But that won't close the two festering pits that reinforce the armies of the Onyx throne. That won't kill the undead. That won't stop the reinforcements.... it will just save the land. And we failed to defend the seals before....how can we guard them now?"
•Colonial Mantis • Disturbing Countenance (unhealthy pale skin) • Gaijin Name •
As of day 29, her skin colour is now pale, like she has never seen a day of sunlight, with a slightly unhealthy pallor to it
Description

Return to “Nativist Mantis Faction Embassy”