[Day 13] Early Evening - I told you to expect me (Open for all the Mantis)

The Mantis loyal to the Emperor occupy the southwest tower of the castle, just beyond the final gate. It overlooks the snowed-in mountain pass. Left upon a pillow in the common room is a single koku. Its markings indicate it was minted by the Mantis Clan and stamped with the year 1133.
Kokujin Kaneda

Re: [Day 13] Early Evening - I told you to expect me (Open for all the Mantis)

Postby Kokujin Kaneda » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:17 am

"Very well."

The monk gulps it down without hesitation, after undoing his muffler.

"Hot! Hot hot..."

He fans his mouth with an open palm.

"You were right Lady Mei, these are a bit hard. Take a sit and tell me. What is your end game for me? If you are just pretending to like me for information, please stop. Ask away what you wish to know and you will receive all the secrets you wish..."

He gulps down what was left of the tea.

"...For a price."
Matchmaker from Hell * Mad Monk of Benten * Thrice Denied * Princess Stalker

Yoritomo Mei

Postby Yoritomo Mei » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:00 am

She takes her place at the center table, in the opposite direction of Kaneda, where she can look directly at him.

"Oh! I'm sorry, Kokujin-san, I didn't mean to hurt you!" she says, as she uses her hands to fan Kokujin's face with the intention of relieving the pain in his mouth caused by hot tea, which may have been ineffective.

"I... I thought we would enjoy this moment to be honest with each other, not to do business, Kokujin-san! You've been lying all this time to me?"

"I just gave you an answer about me, and you come to me with games?"
Nativist Mantis • Merchant and Actress • Yoritomo Courtier • Dangerous Beauty • Hero of the people • Sensation

Kokujin Kaneda

Postby Kokujin Kaneda » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:08 am

He shakes his head.

"No games. I assumed you did not want to expend much time with me. I wanted to be straight to the point with you, Lady Mei. You clearly want something... I just can't tell what."

Yoritomo Mei

Postby Yoritomo Mei » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:11 am

"To be straight to the point with me... and at what price?"
Nativist Mantis • Merchant and Actress • Yoritomo Courtier • Dangerous Beauty • Hero of the people • Sensation

Kokujin Kaneda

Postby Kokujin Kaneda » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:15 am

Yoritomo Mei wrote:"To be straight to the point with me... and at what price?"

"I'll be blunt. I am a rag of hate, Little Mei. I came here to gather all the hate, all the frustrations and all the bile from the Emerald delegations and os so with a smile. My existance here is wretched. Several people have came forward saying they wanted me dead. And my very presence in Dragon lands has got to be unnerving for the Togashi, even if Lord Gozato refuses to be straight about this matter."

He slowly leans forward, towards Mei.

"Of all people, you were the only one that was very forward with your kindness toward me. Do you see why I think this is strange?"

Yoritomo Mei

Postby Yoritomo Mei » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:38 am

As he leans forward, she backs away a little, staring at the floor.

"Yes, I think so... I mean, no, Kokujin-san!"

She indeed felt empathy for the enemy before her. But a soft heart could be as dangerous as a sword pointed at her, so she restrained herself.

"You said that I'm a fool, that I don't know the court game and that I still have much to learn... How can you come here after that and tell me these things waiting for me to believe it? Who are you, Kokujin-san?"

Kokujin Kaneda

Postby Kokujin Kaneda » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:43 am

"I could tell you are just learning to be a courtier. You aren't as impenetrable as Lord Waito nor as impersonal as Lady Rin. I called you a fool for not knowing about the Mantis challenge. All the Mantis should've been aware of it, yet you showed ignorance of matters that have quite the significance to your clan. A fool's endeavor."

He nods.

"I am a Kokujin. As much as I hoped to run away from my duty, to escape the clutches of the reality presented to me, I am a slave to it all. This is who I am."

Yoritomo Mei

Postby Yoritomo Mei » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:53 pm

Kokujin Kaneda wrote:"I could tell you are just learning to be a courtier. You aren't as impenetrable as Lord Waito nor as impersonal as Lady Rin. I called you a fool for not knowing about the Mantis challenge. All the Mantis should've been aware of it, yet you showed ignorance of matters that have quite the significance to your clan. A fool's endeavor."

He nods.

"I am a Kokujin. As much as I hoped to run away from my duty, to escape the clutches of the reality presented to me, I am a slave to it all. This is who I am."

"I... I knew about the challenge, Kokujin-san! It was like I told you... I just didn't know some details! "she exclaims.

She pauses to sip a cup of tea and fills Kaneda's cup a bit more.

"Your words to me are cruel... I bet that even among Onyx there are things you don't know! It is impossible for a single man to know everything that can be known about something!"

"What? Are you a slave? What it's like to be a Kokujin?"

Kokujin Kaneda

Postby Kokujin Kaneda » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:09 pm

"Well are you not a slave? The Mantis pride itself on it's freedom. Yet you are a Samurai, a servant. Is there any difference? Could you do away with tradition and customs if you fancied it? Would you just walk towards the Dais and petition, no - Demand your will to become truth?"

He shakes his head.

"My words are as cruel as yours are soft and gentle. When others show me their hate, I reply with softness. When those show care, I reply with anger. It is how things are."

Yoritomo Mei

Postby Yoritomo Mei » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:51 pm

"And you, Kokujin-san, are you really free? Would you change something in the Onyx Empire and, if you really would change it, would you have the freedom to ask your Lord for this change, as we do before the Dais? Freedom is a relative concept, indeed. You said yourself that yours is an empire of oppression, after all. The strongest rule, the most weak obey."

Kokujin Kaneda wrote:"My words are as cruel as yours are soft and gentle. When others show me their hate, I reply with softness. When those show care, I reply with anger. It is how things are."

"Is that part of being a Kokujin?"

Return to “Nativist Mantis Faction Embassy”