[Day 15, Late Afternoon] Don't Mention the War - Mantis on Mantis

The Mantis loyal to the Emperor occupy the southwest tower of the castle, just beyond the final gate. It overlooks the snowed-in mountain pass. Left upon a pillow in the common room is a single koku. Its markings indicate it was minted by the Mantis Clan and stamped with the year 1133.
Yoritomo Mei

Re: [Day 15, Late Afternoon] Don't Mention the War - Mantis on Mantis

Postby Yoritomo Mei » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:51 am

"M-Moshi-san!" exclaimed the girl, after witnessing the words exchanged by her delegation leader and Janisha "W-Wait a bit, please!"

"Why don't you tell us a little more about the strategy with which Sparrow intends to regain their land while drinking a little tea from the Valley?" said, while finally bringing the hot drink. She had offered something from the Islands previously, but Waito's offer was more affective.

"Please share with us, if you have such knowledge!" she asks gently, not wanting to contradict the words of her commander and also opening a loophole so that there could be peace "We are willing to listen a little more, aren't we, Waito-san? A decision to march to war is something that needs to be thought out carefully, especially at a time when Mantis is still seeking its reconstruction!"

"Our morning petition was about it, after all!"
Nativist Mantis • Merchant and Actress • Yoritomo Courtier • Dangerous Beauty • Hero of the people • Sensation

Tsuruchi Mao

Postby Tsuruchi Mao » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:04 am

Tsuruchi Mao contemplated her cup of tea, looking both thoughtful and determined.

Suzume-san is planning such a thing? I had no idea. Perhaps I will be allowed to go with the Sparrow when they march.

"Yes, let's hear this plan," she added softly.
Nativist Mantis * Natural Ascetic

"Why can't I make arrows from this bamboo? Why else is it planted here?"

As of Day 13, carries a strip of black cloth in her obi upon which is stitched a kingfisher in blue and orange.

Moshi Janisha

Postby Moshi Janisha » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:38 am

Yoritomo Waito wrote:If Waito got angry every time someone cursed him to his face, he wouldn't have lived this long. He takes Janisha's words with a flat expression. Honesty is an over-rated virtue, clearly.

Janisha realized how Waito had taken her words very quickly, and bows low, "Please humbly accept my apologies Yoritomo-sama, my words were not meant in offence, they were simply..." She paused and after considering how she was going to say it, changed her mind, "Understand I have lived two lives for a long time. The first is the dutiful Moshi, bound by tradition, trapped in layers of etiquette, calmly trying to manage Summer Court as best I can.

The other was out among the wilds, with Tsuruchi and Yoritomo and maybe the occasional Kitsune. Trust by necessary comes quick and I tend to slip out of such formalities...I WANT to switch out of such formalities." She bowed again, "Treat my words not as insult I beg of you, for they were not intended that way...they were simply this Moshi forgetting that we are not close enough for me to treat you in such a manner. I thought you had said no, as coldly and as honestly as you could, shattering my ideals of what it means to be Mantis in the process...

To say Yes at the end...my shock led to me treating you like a friend and ally I had already gotten drunk with. Please forgive me."

She hated wearing this formal mask in front of Waito, in a room that held no Moshi or other Samurai at all....but it was clear he did not see her as close enough to truly be free....and for Janisha, their was only two ways to treat someone...

Completely freely or behind a wall of Ettiqutte and formality as big as the Kaiu wall.

"Should you wish a translation of what I said in Ivindi I can give it, but understand it is once again this one being too free with her tongue, letting go of formalities. Ivindi is good like that, as its a language of Gaijin....no one expects you to be formal when speaking it.

Yoritomo Mei wrote:"
"Why don't you tell us a little more about the strategy with which Sparrow intends to regain their land while drinking a little tea from the Valley?" said, while finally bringing the hot drink. She had offered something from the Islands previously, but Waito's offer was more affective.

Tsuruchi Mao wrote:"Yes, let's hear this plan," she added softly.

"I am sorry to disappoint you both, but I do not know the plan, and likely could not explain it well if I did," She frowns, "Should I succeed in convincing the Zogeku Mantis, there is two ports we have agreed to rent and reconstruct for the Crane, in return for our continued docking there. They were going to give one of them to the Mantis entirely, but the Lion demand that Zogeku takes no more land in Rokugan...and so we had to compromise to appease them, despite the fact the Crane's gift was for the united Mantis Clan. Once we are united as one clan, perhaps in a future court we can convince them its in their best interest to change that.

Regardless, these ports are close to Kitsune Mori...the closest ports in fact. I know nothing about Rokugan geography but I believe that places them in close proximity to the Golden Sun Plains. Or at least closer then the current front between the Lion and the Onyx. So if I MUST speculate on a plan I would say any attack would come from there. Otherwise," She shook her head, "I am no general."
•Colonial Mantis • Disturbing Countenance (unhealthy pale skin) • Gaijin Name •
As of day 29, her skin colour is now pale, like she has never seen a day of sunlight, with a slightly unhealthy pallor to it
Description

Yoritomo Waito

Postby Yoritomo Waito » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:00 am

Moshi Janisha wrote:"Treat my words not as insult I beg of you, for they were not intended that way...they were simply this Moshi forgetting that we are not close enough for me to treat you in such a manner. I thought you had said no, as coldly and as honestly as you could, shattering my ideals of what it means to be Mantis in the process...

To say Yes at the end...my shock led to me treating you like a friend and ally I had already gotten drunk with. Please forgive me."

"We only ain't that close enough yet, Janisha-san," Waito replies with a thin-lipped smile. "There'll be plenty of opportunities for us to get drunk together, I'm sure! And your forthrightness makes for a refreshing change from all the oh-so-polite courtier-talk I've been gettin' for the last two weeks! But, to slip back into that for a moment: I accept your apology. We good?"

"Should you wish a translation of what I said in Ivindi I can give it, but understand it is once again this one being too free with her tongue, letting go of formalities. Ivindi is good like that, as its a language of Gaijin....no one expects you to be formal when speaking it.

"If the Mantis can't speak their minds with each other, we're truly as divided as everyone says. Never think that you can't be free with your tongue around me, Janisha-san." Waito's smile widens warmly, and he slowly slides his hands back off the table.

"Should I succeed in convincing the Zogeku Mantis, there is two ports we have agreed to rent and reconstruct for the Crane, in return for our continued docking there. They were going to give one of them to the Mantis entirely, but the Lion demand that Zogeku takes no more land in Rokugan...and so we had to compromise to appease them, despite the fact the Crane's gift was for the united Mantis Clan. Once we are united as one clan, perhaps in a future court we can convince them its in their best interest to change that.

Regardless, these ports are close to Kitsune Mori...the closest ports in fact. I know nothing about Rokugan geography but I believe that places them in close proximity to the Golden Sun Plains. Or at least closer then the current front between the Lion and the Onyx. So if I MUST speculate on a plan I would say any attack would come from there. Otherwise," She shook her head, "I am no general."

"If you were to let we Nativists take the lead in negotiations for the ports, maybe the Lion could be persuaded to see reason more easily," Waito suggests. "And if we were to co-ordinate any such attack with the other clans, we could make our chances of winning so much the greater. Even if the Lion don't see strategic value in the Plains themselves, they could recognise the use of such an attack supporting their own push elsewhere."
Midori

Monk • Experienced Yoritomo Waito

As of Day 21, not Waito

The merchant placed the coins in the monk's hand, and to his delight, the man only smiled and handed out more.

Final day

Tsuruchi Mao

Postby Tsuruchi Mao » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:26 pm

"The Sparrow deserve no less," Mao added. "Also, the Onyx asked for some arrows."

Sip.
Nativist Mantis * Natural Ascetic

"Why can't I make arrows from this bamboo? Why else is it planted here?"

As of Day 13, carries a strip of black cloth in her obi upon which is stitched a kingfisher in blue and orange.

Moshi Janisha

Postby Moshi Janisha » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:56 pm

Yoritomo Waito wrote: But, to slip back into that for a moment: I accept your apology. We good?"

Janisha nodded, "Yes I think we are. Thank you Yoritomo-sama. As for Forthrightness...when the Empire is on the line, hiding who you are behind a mask simply wastes time. I wish the other Great Clans understood that."

She paused for a second then said, "As for the Ivindi...I won't give a direct translation, but it was essentially asking how your shipside Shugenja, be they Moshi or Yoritomo, put up with you. Akin to asking why she hasn't swapped your Sake for Storm bottles yet." She smiles the whole time, making sure its very clear she was joking.

"If you were to let we Nativists take the lead in negotiations for the ports, maybe the Lion could be persuaded to see reason more easily," Waito suggests. "And if we were to co-ordinate any such attack with the other clans, we could make our chances of winning so much the greater. Even if the Lion don't see strategic value in the Plains themselves, they could recognise the use of such an attack supporting their own push elsewhere."

"Perhaps...I wanted to approach both Mantis first before reaching out to other Clans. I would be quite the hypocrite if I tried to get others to aid the Sparrow if the Mantis would not. If I can say both factions of Mantis support it, that it was one of the first things we had agreed to do united..." She smiles, "That would make a selling point for something that to many Clans will be just a loss with no gain. It becomes a plan that will mend two clans."

She considered his other suggestion, "Its not my place to fully hand over negotiations to you, as I am not the Delegation Head...that's Konjo's. I can tell you that we are unlikely to get anything from the Phoenix...we are just too far away to offer anything of value to them, so feel free to consider yourselves representing the United Mantis if you think that will aid your negotiations."
As of day 29, her skin colour is now pale, like she has never seen a day of sunlight, with a slightly unhealthy pallor to it
Description

Yoritomo Waito

Postby Yoritomo Waito » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:08 pm

Moshi Janisha wrote:"As for the Ivindi...I won't give a direct translation, but it was essentially asking how your shipside Shugenja, be they Moshi or Yoritomo, put up with you. Akin to asking why she hasn't swapped your Sake for Storm bottles yet." She smiles the whole time, making sure it's very clear she was joking.

Waito chuckles. "I wouldn't put it past Kahori-san to try somethin' like that! In fact, while I'm here she's probably taken the opportunity to have the Flower go for a northern jaunt unsupervised!"
"It's not my place to fully hand over negotiations to you, as I am not the Delegation Head...that's Konjo's. I can tell you that we are unlikely to get anything from the Phoenix...we are just too far away to offer anything of value to them, so feel free to consider yourselves representing the United Mantis if you think that will aid your negotiations."

"I've already made some inroads with the Phoenix, to build on some older co-operation between our clans. As with anything they propose, it's shugenja business, but if they can pull it off it'll definitely send a signal to the other clans. It won't directly aid the war effort so much, but it's a good first step."
Midori

As of Day 21, not Waito

The merchant placed the coins in the monk's hand, and to his delight, the man only smiled and handed out more.

Final day

Moshi Janisha

Postby Moshi Janisha » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:04 pm

Yoritomo Waito wrote:
Moshi Janisha wrote:"As for the Ivindi...I won't give a direct translation, but it was essentially asking how your shipside Shugenja, be they Moshi or Yoritomo, put up with you. Akin to asking why she hasn't swapped your Sake for Storm bottles yet." She smiles the whole time, making sure it's very clear she was joking.

Waito chuckles. "I wouldn't put it past Kahori-san to try somethin' like that! In fact, while I'm here she's probably taken the opportunity to have the Flower go for a northern jaunt unsupervised!"

She pauses for a minute, before she said, "I must admit, I am not sure what's actually North of Rokugan. I can tell you south obviously, and know a decent amount about what is west...but isn't the north just tribal gaijin?" She honestly wasn't sure what a Shugenja would actually want up there, all she knew of the north came from history and the place the War of Dark Fire played in it...still played now really. "Or is their a nation up their for trade or something?"

"I've already made some inroads with the Phoenix, to build on some older co-operation between our clans. As with anything they propose, it's shugenja business, but if they can pull it off it'll definitely send a signal to the other clans. It won't directly aid the war effort so much, but it's a good first step."

"Their isolationism is frustrating, as it means they want almost nothing. If we are really lucky that isolationism may change before the end of court, however it is not my place to explain why," while her voice remained calm, a touch of concern entered her face, although she didn't want to comment further.

Back to the Centipede then

The worry morphs to sadness, "I wish to make something somewhat clear before we start talking about the Centipede again. I understand the conflicts in the hearts of the Moshi at sea...I am not sure how much you paid attention to my gift to the Dais, but this is my first time to Rokugan since I left when little more then a baby. Should I fulfil my duty, I will likely never see the city I call my home again. I have accepted this. I still view it necessary.

However this will hurt. My HOPE is that the Moshi and Mantis can come to some form of agreement, but I can't even begin to imagine how such a thing would look."
Description

Yoritomo Waito

Postby Yoritomo Waito » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:55 pm

Moshi Janisha wrote:"I must admit, I am not sure what's actually North of Rokugan. I can tell you south obviously, and know a decent amount about what is west...but isn't the north just tribal gaijin?" She honestly wasn't sure what a Shugenja would actually want up there, all she knew of the north came from history and the place the War of Dark Fire played in it...still played now really. "Or is their a nation up their for trade or something?"

"Oh, aye, the northern shores are rife with savages, but there're islands up there much as there are down south. Folk there ain't as strange, but a far cry from civilised, still. You thought the Unicorn liked fur?" Waito looks wistfully into the middle distance. "Kahori-san's got a bit of a fascination with 'em, gets offended when I call it unhealthy."

"I wish to make something somewhat clear before we start talking about the Centipede again. I understand the conflicts in the hearts of the Moshi at sea...I am not sure how much you paid attention to my gift to the Dais, but this is my first time to Rokugan since I left when little more then a baby. Should I fulfil my duty, I will likely never see the city I call my home again. I have accepted this. I still view it necessary.

However this will hurt. My HOPE is that the Moshi and Mantis can come to some form of agreement, but I can't even begin to imagine how such a thing would look."

Waito nods along with Janisha's confession, but thinks better of addressing it. Instead, he comments on the main issue. "If it's an amicable split, there's no reason the Moshi as a whole need choose between Mantis and Centipede. Let each individual pick where they belong! An' if there're a few Kitsune, Tsuruchi or even Yoritomo that'd prefer... a more sedentary life, why not let 'em swear fealty to the Moshi?"
Midori

As of Day 21, not Waito

Final day

Moshi Janisha

Postby Moshi Janisha » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:07 pm

An interesting possibility, and one that would mean she didn't need to leave Zogeku behind...she had to admit she liked it.

You probably still will though. Duty demands you serve Lady Sun and the Fortunes and the Jungles are never going to be as good as a shrine.

She dismissed such logic. Not only was it not useful, the thought she could stay with the Mantis fulfilled the Water Kami's visions of her leaving forever without her failing...well not failing to terribly much anyway.

She did however have one small concern however, "I do believe this kind of split has been done in the past with the Yasuki. I don't remember the details exactly but didn't the Yasuki end up split between the Crane and Crab, only for the whole situation to erupt once more shortly afterwards? Admittedly the Moshi and Mantis have far better ties then the Crab and Crane, but its still a possible concern, and something that could be attacked on the Dais."
Description

Return to “Nativist Mantis Faction Embassy”