[Day 22, Early Afternoon] Set Aside

The Mantis loyal to the Emperor occupy the southwest tower of the castle, just beyond the final gate. It overlooks the snowed-in mountain pass. Left upon a pillow in the common room is a single koku. Its markings indicate it was minted by the Mantis Clan and stamped with the year 1133.
Yoritomo Waito

[Day 22, Early Afternoon] Set Aside

Postby Yoritomo Waito » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:06 pm

The monk Midori runs through the possessions of Yoritomo Waito, items useless to him now. But they'll have to be disposed of one way or another, as well as all the business the Mantis left unfinished.

He sighs heavily.
Midori

Monk • Experienced Yoritomo Waito

As of Day 21, not Waito

The merchant placed the coins in the monk's hand, and to his delight, the man only smiled and handed out more.

Final day

Yoritomo Mei

Re: [Day 22, Early Afternoon] Set Aside

Postby Yoritomo Mei » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:48 pm

Mei arrives at the embassy and sees Midori picking up his things.

"Midori-sama... May I help you?"

She readily helps him, regardless he needed her help or not. She was a little sad, for she didn't know what had happened to Waito to the point of making him abandon his own life to follow a holy and humble path.

But maybe that was the opportunity.
Nativist Mantis • Merchant and Actress • Yoritomo Courtier • Dangerous Beauty • Hero of the people • Sensation

Yoritomo Waito

Postby Yoritomo Waito » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:55 pm

"Flower seeds... Stuffed parrot... Too many bottles... Ah, the hat!"

Yoritomo Mei wrote:"Midori-sama... May I help you?"

"This monk is -sama to no-one, Yoritomo-sama!" Midori says, raising a finger. "How can someone accumulate so much junk? I mean, this hat, it's a Daisetsu original, but Waito hardly ever wore it. Prh." Setting the incredible balancing admiral hat on Mei's head, he continues digging.

"If you'd like to help though Yoritomo-sama, there is one thing you can do that this monk would never be able to. Waito's daisho is over there, the stand by the window. His legitimate daughters're all... gone now, but I'm sure one of his port bastards'll come calling at some point. First one that does gets the swords, and a free pass into the Clan. No need for the line to end just 'cos Waito's gotten lost."
Midori

As of Day 21, not Waito

The merchant placed the coins in the monk's hand, and to his delight, the man only smiled and handed out more.

Final day

Yoritomo Mei

Postby Yoritomo Mei » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:21 am

Yoritomo Waito wrote:"This monk is -sama to no-one, Yoritomo-sama!" Midori says, raising a finger. "How can someone accumulate so much junk? I mean, this hat, it's a Daisetsu original, but Waito hardly ever wore it. Prh." Setting the incredible balancing admiral hat on Mei's head, he continues digging.

"If you'd like to help though Yoritomo-sama, there is one thing you can do that this monk would never be able to. Waito's daisho is over there, the stand by the window. His legitimate daughters're all... gone now, but I'm sure one of his port bastards'll come calling at some point. First one that does gets the swords, and a free pass into the Clan. No need for the line to end just 'cos Waito's gotten lost."

"Daisetsu... original?" Mei's eyes glow with greed. She adjusts the Admiral's hat which was wider than her head. Now it seemed no longer to match the monk's balding head.

"Waito-sama had a beautiful daisho!" Mei comes close and leans in front of the swords "I'll do that, Midori-sama! Do you have any idea of how old Waito-sama's illegitimate children are? Because knowing that, I can better recognize when I find his children! How many children are there, so that I can be prepared for the number of claims I will receive?"
Nativist Mantis • Merchant and Actress • Yoritomo Courtier • Dangerous Beauty • Hero of the people • Sensation

Yoritomo Waito

Postby Yoritomo Waito » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:34 am

Yoritomo Mei wrote:"I'll do that, Midori-sama! Do you have any idea of how old Waito-sama's illegitimate children are? Because knowing that, I can better recognize when I find his children! How many children are there, so that I can be prepared for the number of claims I will receive?"

"At best, a few of them might have passed gempukku age," the monk calculates. "If they'd wanted to be recognised, they would have come forward by now. Or, they've waited this long and are too timid to deserve it! Uh, is what Waito might have said. Midori does not judge those poor children. Of which there should be no more than six. On occasion, even that rascal took precautions."

Midori plucks an arrow from within a case. "This should go back to Tsuruchi Rin-sama. The man to whom she owes a debt no longer exists. The wasp may fly free."

There are papers and scrolls aplenty, but none seems to be more than a hastily written note. Most get crumpled up and added to the fire. "Most of the treaties have been completed, and those that aren't, well, I am sure you will be able to finish them. You are a fine courtier, Mei- -sama."

Midori holds a look at Mei for a few seconds with a half-smile before looking away, and picking up a mostly-blank scroll. "The Sparrow though, you should have Tsuruchi Mao-sama deal with. An offer of help to a minor clan will sound better coming from one with a... rapport with them, don't you think? And Tsuruchi-sama has all the makings of a leader the clan can be proud of."
Midori

As of Day 21, not Waito

Final day

Yoritomo Mei

Postby Yoritomo Mei » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:02 am

Yoritomo Waito wrote:Midori does not judge those poor children. Of which there should be no more than six. On occasion, even that rascal took precautions."

"No more than six? Is this taking precautions, Midori-sama?" she notices her intrusion and then changes the subject "Oh! So Waito-sama's children must already be almost adults! They must be my age... I think we'll get along very well!" she smiles playfully "I will be ready to receive them! They must miss Waito-sama, he seemed like a kind father!"

Yoritomo Waito wrote:Most of the treaties have been completed, and those that aren't, well, I am sure you will be able to finish them. You are a fine courtier, Mei- -sama."

"Don't worry, Midori-Sama! I will give the messages to the Tsuruchi girls, as well I hope do a good job with these scrolls!" she doesn't seem so enthusiastic about the scrolls, though her words say otherwise.

"And it's Mei-chan, Midori-sama! Please, call me Mei-chan!" she says with a sad look, but very expressively "It was like Waito-sama used to call me! Since I have met another friend to call nii-san, then he is free to treat me just like Waito-sama did!" she smiles broadly "and sama definitely does not fit me well" she says, raising a finger and closing her eyes "and it doesn't look well for a man at your age to treat a girl with such respect when you deserve more than her!"

"I just wish I knew what happened to Waito-sama... why did he left us?" she is sad again.

Yoritomo Waito

Postby Yoritomo Waito » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:39 pm

Yoritomo Mei wrote:"I will be ready to receive them! They must miss Waito-sama, he seemed like a kind father!"

"He spent maybe less than a week with each of them, Yoritomo-sama. He was far from a good father by anyone's standards. What they would know of Waito would be whatever memories their mother chose to share."

"And it's Mei-chan, Midori-sama! Please, call me Mei-chan!" she says with a sad look, but very expressively "It was like Waito-sama used to call me! Since I have met another friend to call nii-san, then he is free to treat me just like Waito-sama did!" she smiles broadly "and sama definitely does not fit me well" she says, raising a finger and closing her eyes "and it doesn't look well for a man at your age to treat a girl with such respect when you deserve more than her!"

"I can call you that if you really want, but Midori has hardly done enough to deserve respect yet. Whereas you... Think on all you've done at this court alone!"

"I just wish I knew what happened to Waito-sama... why did he left us?" she is sad again.

"He was a bad man that led noble Yoritomo Ichido-sama astray, causing the Zogeku to turn on him," Midori says, definitively. "Pay him no more mind, Mei-chan, other than as a cautionary tale. The heavenly is not ours to take."
Midori

As of Day 21, not Waito

Final day

Yoritomo Mei

Postby Yoritomo Mei » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:37 am

Yoritomo Waito wrote:"I can call you that if you really want, but Midori has hardly done enough to deserve respect yet. Whereas you... Think on all you've done at this court alone!"

"But cautionary tales are the best! If we could listen more to them, we would avoid astray. Some moments, one's mistakes are needed so the right thing can be learned by future generations!"

Yoritomo Waito wrote:"He was a bad man that led noble Yoritomo Ichido-sama astray, causing the Zogeku to turn on him," Midori says, definitively. "Pay him no more mind, Mei-chan, other than as a cautionary tale. The heavenly is not ours to take."

"Maybe he was really far from a good father... but regards his mistakes in Thunderdragon Bay, now that I've finally confirmed the truth, I understand that Waito-sama did what he felt was right to save our clan in a moment of despair! That's why I will never blame him! I also hope we can repair such a mistake in the future!"

Yoritomo Waito

Postby Yoritomo Waito » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:36 am

Yoritomo Mei wrote:"But cautionary tales are the best! If we could listen more to them, we would avoid astray. Some moments, one's mistakes are needed so the right thing can be learned by future generations!"

"Inspirational fables Midori has few of. Cautionary tales he has been given plenty, thanks to the life of one man. Should such a man be considered good, as his vile acts inspire others to do better?"

"Maybe he was really far from a good father... but regards his mistakes in Thunderdragon Bay, now that I've finally confirmed the truth, I understand that Waito-sama did what he felt was right to save our clan in a moment of despair! That's why I will never blame him! I also hope we can repair such a mistake in the future!"

"If more Mantis had your attitude, Mei-chan, I am sure we will find a more noble path. Ah!" Midori starts and grabs at some more documents. "It'll be up to Lord Ichido to decide on a new admiral, but the Devils Flower will need a captain now that Waito's gone. Yoritomo Gin-sama is the most experienced hand aboard that vessel, and should fill the role admirably..."

The monk smiles sheepishly as he turns back to the Yoritomo. "Sorry, Mei-chan. A momentary distraction. I should avoid being distracted in future; it happened all too often to Waito. He never took the time to properly thank those who stood by him even through all his sins." Midori sets aside the pile he is currently rooting through and turns to face Mei directly.

"So. Midori will not make that mistake. What is there you'd like to do, Mei-chan?"
Midori

As of Day 21, not Waito

Final day

Yoritomo Mei

Postby Yoritomo Mei » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:16 am

Yoritomo Waito wrote:"Inspirational fables Midori has few of. Cautionary tales he has been given plenty, thanks to the life of one man. Should such a man be considered good, as his vile acts inspire others to do better?"

"What matters, Midori-sama, is that Waito-sama will be remembered! He will be in our memories, for the better and for the worst! Who needs inspirational fables? There are plenty of that out there! Cautionary tales, on the other hand, are unique!" Mei's expression cheers on a new idea "I could help writing Waito-sama's biography, what do you think? It would be a cautionary tale named Yoritomo Waito, the life of one man! By Yoritomo Mei! " she falls into ecstasy imagining the fortune she would gain from the story of Waito "We just need to omit the black scroll part, replace it with a profane but irrelevant object!"

Yoritomo Waito wrote:"So. Midori will not make that mistake. What is there you'd like to do, Mei-chan?"

"I'm not sure what I want to do... maybe be the new Admiral of the the Devils Flower!" she laughs "I bet I look better with this admiral hat than Gin-sama!" she points to the admiral's hat she wore "Do you think what I'm doing is noble, Midori-sama? I sometimes think the opposite... but I try to do the right thing my own way! I really hope Lord Ichido and Lord Arashi can be friends!" she says, with a mix of hope and youthful stupidity "I know I'm not the smartest and insightful person... Waito-sama I'll be missing in this sense!"

Return to “Nativist Mantis Faction Embassy”